Grizly

Remember When.......

On 1/3/2020 at 3:50 AM, Stokey Pete said:

As it happens, I'm going old school with my next planned build, with Revels old AH-64 from '87 if memory serves me correct. Really looking forward to building it, and comparing it to a speed built, brush painted version of the same kit that my mum has kept in the loft since the late 80'. 

I'll want to see that, for sure. My good buddy just won the same kit in the Christmas raffle, and I don't recall ever seeing one built here.

I distinctly remember the first time that I airbrushed a model, it was the venerable Monogram 1:48 B-17. I was in tech school at the time, and borrowed a W.R. Brown compressor and Binks Wren airbrush from a good pal at school. Spray painting the Fortress was a real eye opener for me and I kept that model for many, many years.

On the flip side, I also recall that way back when, I had no references, no books, no web, and no movies to help with my modeling knowledge, but I did have a 1:48 Monogram F-4, so used the painting instructions from that to hand paint my 1:32 Revell F-4J Phantom in a Southeast Asia scheme, never realizing at the time how utterly wrong that was.