Grizly

Remember When.......

Aurora kits with canopies had half the pilots head molded to each side of the fuselage,

however the bipes all had complete pilots. Odd.

I built lottsa Hawk kits, mostly 1/48. They had the chrome plated kits.

Very cool when you're 10.

qAGB7fe.jpg

When I was about 7 or 8, we went to a gathering at the home of a family we went to church with.  They had a teenaged son, and I remember going into his room and seeing a B-17 hanging from the ceiling.  From my memory, it must have been the Lindberg kit, but he had painted it something like OD and Neutral Gray.  I thought that was just about the COOLEST thing I'd ever seen.  I had no idea you could paint a model like that!  And it was even cooler because he had painted the markings (how successfully I have no idea) of the airplane his dad had crewed during the war.  

Posted (edited)

I was hit and miss with airplane modeling.  As.a child I did not paint models, so ended up with problems.  Among them that landing gear had to be up or down, Canopies looked weird because the framing was not painted and worst of all were the seam lines.  I did not know what filler was.  I do have fond memories of the Monogram 1/32 Dauntless but I tended to get frustrated with airplane kits.  Even when I started painting them seems and canopies remained a problem.  Until I learned a bit and I found Tamiya tape I kind of went away from airplanes and focused on armor, cars, ships, and some Star Wars kits.  At one point I built a lot of ship models.  I would make a basic guess at the rigging on sailing ships build them and play with them.  

My first hugely desired LSP was the Revell Corsair.  Of course inspired by Blacksheep squadron.  I remember the trip to Kmart to get one because that seemed to be the only place I knew of where i could get one.  I brush painted in testers sea blue and was fairly happy with it.  Can’t remember what I did with the canopy.  I did really not like airplane models until I started building some Tamiya 1/48 planes though.  My first airplane build I was really happy with was the Tamiya Mustang and BF-109E.  Also a special memory for the old Tamiya Zero in 1/48 as that was the first 1/48 kit I was happy with.  It was an early airbrushing effort when I was about 15.  I painted it up and cut a hole in the bottom for a peg to display it in flight.  

Today, I don’t have any desire to build those old kits with all the nice new ones coming out.  I much prefer what we get new and don’t have time really to look back at building models from 30 to 40 years ago.  

Edited by cbk57

Anyone join the Revell Modeling Club back in the 70's?  I did and remember getting a set of cheap plastic tools (red clamps powered by rubber bands!) and a subscription to a small magazine.

revell-together-1970s-master-modelers-1-

Posted (edited)

Another memory of old models, we now have a new HobbyBoss LSP coming out of the A-26 Invader.  The revell or Monogram kit(not an LSP) of that plane always gave me trouble.  I think I tried building it at least twice only to have fit problems that made me quit.  Something about the rear of the plane and the clear part that went over the rear gunners station.  I can still remember that from sitting at my grandparents kitchen table in 1980 and that I could not get it to go together right.  I never did finish an invader kit because of that problem or another.  

Edited by cbk57

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Anyone join the Revell Modeling Club back in the 70's?  I did and remember getting a set of cheap plastic tools (red clamps powered by rubber bands!) and a subscription to a small magazine.

revell-together-1970s-master-modelers-1-

Oh yeah.  Had those!

As it happens, I'm going old school with my next planned build, with Revels old AH-64 from '87 if memory serves me correct. Really looking forward to building it, and comparing it to a speed built, brush painted version of the same kit that my mum has kept in the loft since the late 80'. 

Dad remembers when he was modelling there was barely anything aftermarket, you had to buy models like the Airfix Sterling to get bomb trolleys and airfield equipment and aftermarket decals were not heard of. 

I had a 1:32 Revell P-51B Kit still in shrink wrap that I thought would be worth millions some day.  I hung onto this particular box for years selling off all my old Revell (1:32) kits and then all those 1:48 kits once the newer generation 1:32 kits started hitting the shelves.  

The Gentile  Shanghai-La  Revell box-top was one of the coolest ever.   

Airfix had some pretty epic packaging too.   I recall a Me 262 being chased by a pair of Tempests?   Head on view of the Me 262 is always a good angle.    

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 11:55 PM, MikeMaben said:

That little astronaut looks truly unhappy.   :(

You would be too if someone had neglected to hook up your oxygen and air conditioning :)  And don't forget - in 1958-59 NASA had a bad habit of blowing things up on the launch pad.

Edited by Jennings Heilig