Remember When.......

As 2020 rapidly approaches and more new kits will be released, remember when plastic models vaguely resembled the full scale item, rivets and panel lines were randomly placed, the number of parts could be counted on one's hand and there were no after market products to correct those fatal flaws?

N1GXO2W.jpg

Edited by Grizly

I remember distinctly the first time I ever heard of molding parts in resin.  In those days, the resin was aluminum filled epoxy, and the guy who did it was the USAF’s only full time professional model builder (his shop at Gentile AFS in Dayton was AMAZING).  He also had photo etched brass which was a revelation as well.  

That was 1982!

Some old kits still make me smile.   The Monogram F3F.   Nitto Willow,  Hasegawa bi planes.  

Everytime I collected money from snow shoveling or mowing yards would go into a kit, or glue or paints.

You could never have enough paints jars or 000 paint brushes.  Does anyone remember the brand HAWK? 

Those little 1:72 scale birds had 7 or 8 parts including the awesome display stand.   The Spit MK-22 was one of my favorites.  

17 hours ago, Grizly said:

As 2020 rapidly approaches and more new kits will be released, remember when plastic models vaguely resembled the full scale item, rivets and panel lines were randomly placed, the number of parts could be counted on one's hand and there were no after market products to correct those fatal flaws?

N1GXO2W.jpg

One of my older cousins had that blue Spitfire! Every time I went over to visit I just loved to play with it. Must have been five or so. So it may be at the root of my modeling hobby!

Alain