Doyusha Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Fighter at Pearl Harbor

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

Kevin Willliams takes a look at the latest incarnation of the old Tomy/Swallow/Doyusha Zero kit:

Doyusha Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Fighter at Pearl Harbor

2259-1.jpg

Thanks, Kevin!

And thanks, too, to HobbyLink Japan for the review sample. This kit can be purchased from them at the following link:

1/32 Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero Type 21 (Pearl Harbor Attacker)

Kev

+1 

if you are nervous about hacking a Tamiya kit to make the floatplane then this is your kit. Shallow wheel wells do not matter.  IIRC a float conversion is still available.   Mr Surfacer toned down the rivits nicely. 

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski
Added comment

17 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

+1 

if you are nervous about hacking a Tamiya kit to make the floatplane then this is your kit. Shallow wheel wells do not matter.  IIRC a float conversion is still available.   Mr Surfacer toned down the rivits nicely. 

Rick

That's exactly the plan I have for my copy, especially since I've already robbed the landing gear and drop tank for my build of the Revell kit. I've got the old Horizon vac conversion to contend with, but it still should make for an interesting and enjoyable conversion project.

Kev

One aspect generally unknown is the fact there are many slight dimension errors. Not in the general dimensions of the kit but in its details. For instance the gun hatches under the wings or the chord of the ailerons are wrong. Fortunately, this is not really noticeable. I discovered that when I tried to adapt Tamiya leftover parts to that kit to recreate a type 22. I finally had to cheat as otherwise, heavy changes would have been required. However, quite fortunately, the CMK landing gear wells made for the Tamiya kit can be modified to be used on that kit. Last, most cockpit parts from or made for the Tamiya or Hasegawa kits will not enter easily in the Doyusha fuselage. I guess this is likely linked to the different cross-sections. 

Hth 

Thierry 

Similar to many older kits one must set the scope of what will be modified or added.  Some of the after market stuff does not fit well into the intended kits.  I would redo the cockpit with parts and pieces glued onto my own scratch built structural details (ribs and stringers etc.).  I think I saved my Horizon conversion so I might have another go at the float plane.

Rick

8 hours ago, nmayhew said:

The kit looks like a step backwards not forwards.

Wheel wells are completely Mickey Mouse.

Thanks for the review though - at least now I know.

This is by no means a new kit, but rather just a re-pop of the 50+ year old Tomy kit, but with new box art and Cartograf decals. There's only one other Tomy Zero review here on LSP, and that particular boxing does not use either Cartograf decals, nor offer six different Peal Harbor attackers.