Humbrol Clear Vanishes & Washes

RAAF Nut

Hi All , 

After getting back into modelling after 30 years away , Im looking for advice on the best way to use Humbrol Clear , Matt Vanishes & Washes.

Things have certainly come along a long way in 30 years . 

I have a few good large scale kits ready to go next . 

To get me back in the vibe , Ive been working on a 1/35 Crusader Tank that is nearly done.

Looks great so far and i wish to learn over time  , how to apply to my planes that I have bought to build later.

Time isn't an issue for me as I paint by hand , used to be real good at dry brushing for effects.

What I have learnt so far on the internet is to apply decals , then Gloss Coat , (some say Gloss Coat 1st  before Decals) , then apply wash , clean up when dry then apply Matt Coat over the top.

Any advice would be appreciated , I know that their are lots of other brands available but I have the Humbrol in hand to work with and try out.

Going back to the old days , decals splitting over time used to be a problem and I prefer enamels never had much luck with the Tamiya paints over time ( But I never put a clear overcoat on them ) lol.

Any input appreciated 

Cheers Rick 

You should always gloss before placing decals as a flat finish will cause silvering in the clear area of the decals due to trapped air. Then after they dry, sesl the decals in with another thin gloss coat, then washes, then a flat or dull coat.

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

You should always gloss before placing decals as a flat finish will cause silvering in the clear area of the decals due to trapped air. Then after they dry, sesl the decals in with another thin gloss coat, then washes, then a flat or dull coat.

Thanks for the reply mate,

I will give it a try and see how I go.

Cheers Rick