1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ta152H-0 White 7

Thunnus

1 hour ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

you the mistery maker?  if so, please tell us what is in the pipeline?

He's not - I happen to know this because I know who is (and no, it's not me either!). I also have a pre-production set of the 109 legs, and they're fantastic.

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

He's not - I happen to know this because I know who is (and no, it's not me either!). I also have a pre-production set of the 109 legs, and they're fantastic.

Kev

No, not me or Kevin!  The maker is following conversations here at LSP and wanted to clarify my statement about one continuous piece of piano wire and provided a photo of the metal components prior to casting, so I shared that.  I've been told he'll be making an announcement about his new products VERY SOON.  I've already utilized his prototypes on one build (Hasegawa 109K-4) and have sets ready for my current builds (Revell 109G and Z-M Ta152H).  He's also sent me prototypes for the Hasegawa 190 and Revell 190.  As Kevin says, the legs are great and I don't think any of you will be disappointed when they are finally made available for purchase.

Great pictures John / Kev.  A good LSP friend and I were curious about the transition point from the oleo strut the the axel.  We were hoping it wasn’t a resin only connection at the bottom of the LG strut.  This would be concerning as a weak attachment point if it was, however the picture above explains what’s going on.  The axel has a stiffener and so does the connection at the top.  What a great concept.  Thanks for sharing the pictures John.  

Im also likening your Horst selection on the the other build.  

Looks like our mistery maker is an Engineer and nows how to design things.  As I myself am an Engineer at the point of changing careers due to ongoing health issues I would love to see his manufacturing solution (just completed a Masters in Advanced Manuffacturing and in conversation with a number of organisations looking to help Scottish SMEs to update/ugrade their capacity).

I also have a couple of these "new" U/C legs from the "mystery producer" and I can confirm that they are superb. They are a "game changer". They offer good strength, a realistic metal "piston" with the rest of the leg made of wire-reinforced resin, which is much easier to work with than cast brass. 

Radu

5 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I'm sure most of you have heard but the cat is out of the bag!  Please give Damian's landing gear legs a look!

And for some context, Damian is the guy who cast the replacement Corsair cowls for us a number of years ago. Those of you who remember those will know that he does great work.

Kev

I'm having trouble motivating myself for this project because I do not like the properties of the black plastic.  Not only is the color hard to work with, it has a consistency that I hate... soft and kinda rubbery, almost vinyl-like.

Anyways, I went ahead and riveted the tail section.
IMG-6900.jpg

With the Corsair past the finish line, I'm now jumping between TWO builds not THREE so I should be able to make more progress on this Tank fighter.  I have attached the tail unit to the fuselage.  There are wooden and metal versions of this tail and I've chosen to represent a metal one, hence the riveting.  Fit was not the greatest here so I've had to use some Milliput to fill open gaps and used a curved x-acto blade to shave down some overhangs.  After the cleanup, the riveting next to the joint line was finished.
IMG-6947.jpg
IMG-6948.jpg

The Z-M wing assembly is on the complicated side.  Instead of one wing bottom and two upper wings, Z-M chose to go modular... why I do not know.  You have the two wing bottoms (1 & 2), two wing tops (3 & 4), the inserts for the forward wing edge (5 & 6), the wing gun covers (7 & 8), the central wing bottom (9), the 2-piece ailerons on the left and right (10-13) and the two flaps (14 & 15).   That's FIFTEEN parts, not including the structural wing spar and various details.

Wanting to not leave things to chance and needing to evaluate what it will take to upgrade the flaps to the aftermarket brass parts, I've tried to dry-fit the wing assembly using tape.  The first thing I noticed was that the completed wing is incredibly WIDE.  Kurt Tank was serious about the high aspect ratio wing and fully committed to this characteristic aspect of design. The second thing I noticed was... hey, the fit is pretty good here.  The wing spar ensures the correct dihedral and the outer wings seemed to fit well in relation to the spar and to each other.
IMG-6950.jpg

The scribing work on the wing bottoms is pretty much finished but all wing surfaces will need to be riveted prior to assembly.
IMG-6952.jpg

Preliminary fit of the wings to the fuselage was understandably shaky given that the major contact points (engine and wing root fillets) are missing.  But this gives us a preliminary look at the unique form of Herr Tank's fighter.
IMG-6953.jpg

If you count the wing root fillet parts, the wing assembly has SEVENTEEN components!

28 minutes ago, Greif8 said:

Master class all around John.  Your PE work is exquisite.  

Hopefully it'll get better.  I just picked up this CA glue station...

IMG-6946.jpg

The base is not essential as you can use just about anything as a working depository for CA glue. But I need some applicators, saw this design in my favorite color.  Previously, I was using the loop end of a sewing needle with the end cut off and I was having a miserable time cleaning the built up glue with a knife.  Ended up breaking a couple needles this way.  Instructions for this Meng tool turned on the light bulb... you can simply BURN the excess glue off.  How easy is that?

Edited by Thunnus

5 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Hopefully it'll get better.  I just picked up this CA glue station...

IMG-6946.jpg

The base is not essential as you can use just about anything as a working depository for CA glue. But I need some applicators, saw this design in my favorite color.  Previously, I was using the loop end of a sewing needle with the end cut off and I was having a miserable time cleaning the built up glue with a knife.  Ended up breaking a couple needles this way.  Instructions for this Meng tool turned on the light bulb... you can simply BURN the excess glue off.  How easy is that?

Interesting tool John, I will have to give it a look.  I use applicators that look almost exactly like the one in your photo.  They work pretty good, but you have to burn out dried glue fairly frequently during use.  it should be interesting to see Meng's logic in why the their "Superglue Auxiliary Applicator" should part us from our money!