1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ta152H-0 White 7

Thunnus

14 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

Whether any of the below will help John I'm not sure but here's my thoughts...

Reverse the process. I think you need to fold the lower section (as you have it laid out) first and start with the inner edge (when assembled).

Make the 2 90 degree folds then the vertical height of the upright will show you the angle to fold the sloping edge to allow it all the layflat.

The other side can then be folded over, and the spars have 2 90 degree folds made.   

This. 

I stared at it for a while and came up with the same idea...then scrolled down and saw the same thought :) The spars definitely look weird in the instructions with the random arrows, but I think once the lower section is folded into shape, it'll make more sense. 

Or, use whisky. 

Leaving the lower flap origami issue aside, I've moved a little forward with the Tank build.  I've decided to add the wing root fillets at this time.  
IMG-7076.jpg

Why these need to be separate parts other than to create more messy seams is beyond me.  I obviously do not reside in Z-M's target demographic.  :wink: 
IMG-7077.jpg
IMG-7078.jpg

I've glued the rudder to the tail unit using 2-part epoxy glue.  The molded ribs on the rudder have been sanded down to give a more subtle fabric effect.
IMG-7079.jpg
IMG-7081.jpg

The molded spars in the upper flap area have been removed in order to accommodate the PE parts.  I'll probably glue them in after the wing spars have been attached.
IMG-7086.jpg
IMG-7087.jpg

This might be a good time to perform a dry-fit check of the wing parts to the fuselage.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looks awesome so far John. All that black plastic would have me reeling after awhile! 

Thanks Brian!  Yeah, the black plastic is a bit of a pain to work with.  But maybe this gives me an excuse to try black-basing! ;)

Time to dry-fit the wings!  I used Tamiya tape for this exercise.  The wingspan on this bird is incredibly wide!
IMG-7089.jpg

Despite the modular nature of construction, the fit is pretty good, which is a credit to the design team at Z-M.
IMG-7091.jpg
IMG-7090.jpg

Without the engine in place, I found that the cowling pieces fit to the fuselage very well.  I guess there is an option for me to leave the engine off the build and have it displayed alongside somehow?
IMG-7092.jpg
IMG-7093.jpg

A final check was performed to see if the canopy and windscreen fit ok.  
IMG-7094.jpg

I detected no serious issues with during this exercise so I've got a green light to keep the build moving.
IMG-7095.jpg

Thanks guys!

Continuing the dry-fit session with the radiator cowling reminded me that the engine will need to be installed since it holds exhaust pipes.
IMG-7096.jpg
IMG-7097.jpg

I snapped the engine into place to check the cowling fit.  The engine assembly does not want to sit correctly on its own without glue.  However the top cowling pushes the engine into the correct position.  There is a possibility that I can perhaps glue ONE of the two engine side cowlings into place and have the other one removable.  We'll just have to see when that time comes.
IMG-7098.jpg
IMG-7101.jpg

The wing spar has been glued into the wing bottoms.  I had to shave the back edge of the spar where it butts up against the PE flaps.
IMG-7103.jpg

I glued the upper flaps onto the upper wings using 2-part epoxy.  The roof of the wheel wells have been painted and I've applied the contractor stamp decal from the Eagle Cal decal sheet.
IMG-7102.jpg

4 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Having an open panel would be nice to show off the details of the engine, which has to be glued in its intended location since it is visible through the wheel wells.

Oh and there's THAT too!  Funny how absent-minded I can be during these builds.  Maybe I need to focus on a single project?