1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ta152H-0 White 7

Thunnus

Guest Vincent
10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I think the main issue you had with the panel lines is not leaving the sprue goo to cure for long enough. There's an old thread in the techniques forum where a member outlines his experiments with various melted sprue filler concoctions, and the general consensus was it had to be left alone for extraordinary lengths of time - weeks, sometimes! I'd have given yours a few days at least before attempting to scribe through it, John.

Still, it's all looking pretty good!

Kev

Yes, melted sprue is a really shitty way to do it. In my experience, i have seen that it can take up to 3 months for the goo to be solid again. I always go for CA and never had any issue rescribing through it

V

13 hours ago, D Bellis said:

The H-0, being pre-production, only occasionally had wooden tails. The wooden tail became standard on the H-1, but there were still metal tails on some of those, too. 

HTH,

D

Yes, that is very helpful! Thanks!  That is along the lines of where my thoughts were.

7 hours ago, Vincent said:

Yes, melted sprue is a really shitty way to do it. In my experience, i have seen that it can take up to 3 months for the goo to be solid again. I always go for CA and never had any issue rescribing through it

V

Live and learn, I guess.  As a filler-only, it worked very well after 24 hours of curing.  I only ran into troubles when trying to scribe over the goo, which was much softer than the surrounding plastic.

14 hours ago, Vincent said:

V

Meh

it depends on what plastic you use in your goo

evergreen is apparently the worst stuff to use (sorry I realise that doesn’t help you now) because it’s soooo soft

sprue goo should yield excellent results if you use a standard Hassy or Tamiya sprue; am sure others may be good but I would steer clear of companies with sh*tty soft plastic like Airfix or Revell...obviously evergreen is like that and then some

i realise CA is used effectively by many, but its strength is its weakness ie it is always much tougher than the surrounding plastic and that can lead to sanding away said plastic when not desired; it is also just too hard to scribe for many people.

sprue goo - if you get it right - is the only thing that’s exactly like the surrounding plastic because *it is* the surrounding plastic :)

and now back to the master’s work... ;)

Superglue is great for filling panel lines. If you leave it a long time it may become harder so the "secret" is to sand it as soon as it cures. 
Scribing a good line over plastic and putty and plastic again (or even plastic-to-resin) is always problematic when using a "trenching" tool. For that kind of situations I designed this tool that works in a different way: you need to use it like a "file" by moving it back-and-forth a couple times to get a panel line. Because this "files" away material rather than "digging", it avoids the issue with scribing over dissimilar materials. http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_110&products_id=734

HTH 

Radu 

Guest Vincent
11 hours ago, nmayhew said:

it depends on what plastic you use in your goo

I tried using the same plastic as the kit it goes on, makes no real difference : the injection process is a temprature melting while the goo is a chemical melting. The plastic will be fully solid once every molecule of the softener has evaporated - and that can take a loooong time

Edited by Vincent

I believe that dissolving plastic in a solvent was an Eastern European "trick" to make putty when no other putty was available. In the days of dear old communism (good idea, but never tried properly, I was told ;-) ) there were no hobby shops and no supplies, so modellers had to improvise. I did that in the past too until I discovered the other great work-around: "chalk dust mixed with paint". Some people still do such stuff. There is no more need for such improvised materials anymore,  there are good putties available at reasonable prices. 

Radu

Thanks for the great discussion on sprue goo and CA as filler materials... very informative!

Still futzing with the wing bottoms.  I've re-attached the instrument panel with an additional spacer.  The instrument panel hood was glued into place to protect the gun sight.
IMG-6736.jpg

I've decided to replace the kit wheels with set of resin wheels from Barracuda.
IMG-6740.jpg