1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ta152H-0 White 7

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  Now that the cockpit tub is completed, I can glue the fuselage together.  This assembly is made more complicated by the fact that it is a triangular affair... two fuselage sides AND the fuselage bottom.  It made dry-fitting of the cockpit parts a headache so I'm eager to put this teepee together and move past it. One last look at the fuel tanks before they go bye-bye.
IMG-6688.jpg

The cockpit tub fit better into the port side so I started off there.  I put tube glue on all of the interior contact areas and then topped it off with Tamiya Extra Thin on the joints that I could reach from the outside.
IMG-6689.jpg

After the left side was taken care of but not completely cured, I imgthe starboard fuselage side.  Now could pinch the two fuselage sides together to get a good connection.
IMG-6690.jpg

The bottom was attached last.
IMG-6692.jpg

I set that aside to dry.  The next step in this build (per the instructions) would be the engine.  Since I am replacing the kit prop with a resin prop and spinner from Henri Daehne, I wanted to make the necessary adjustments to the kit parts.
IMG-6677.jpg

I didn't make any precise measurements but to my eye, the kit prop and spinner look pretty good.
IMG-6678.jpg
IMG-6680.jpg

Where the H.D. prop outshines the competition is the surface quality and the amazing details found on the prop hub and spinner.
IMG-6682.jpg
IMG-6679.jpg

Once the prop is assembled, you won't be able to see much of the hub detail, unfortunately.  Since the Ta152H has a cannon firing through the spinner, I won't be able to fashion a pop-off spinner using magnets like I did on my last Fw190D-9 build.
IMG-6684.jpg

The main modification to the kit parts is to enlarge the holes for the prop shaft.  H.D. includes a 3mm diameter brass tube and the kit parts need to accommodate this wider shaft.
IMG-6685.jpg
IMG-6686.jpg

Once I have verified that the brass shaft is now accommodated, I can set this aside and move on with the build.
IMG-6687.jpg

After the fuselage was assembled, I wanted to check the fit of the gun/engine cowling.  This large piece has internal ribbing and unfortunately, has sink marks on the exterior side corresponding to those ribs.
IMG-6694.jpg

Strategic application of Mr Surfacer should address the sink marks.
IMG-6700.jpg

Jumping over to the wings, the bottoms of which need modification to backdate this H-1 kit into an H-0.  
IMG-6695.jpg

I created masks using the Silhouette Portrait cutter to help position the new access panels and panel lines.  It's not just for paint masks!
IMG-6696.jpg

I've sprayed the proposed panels with a light coat of Mr Surfacer.  This now gives me a guide on where to eradicate existing panel lines and where the new panels and ports should go.
IMG-6698.jpg

In preparation of the imminent filling operation, I've taken a stab at making a batch of sprue goo (actually white sheet styrene).
IMG-6699.jpg

The fuselage assembly went together fairly well, requiring a small amount of filler on the fuselage spine.  What are the odds that the Revi 16 gun sight gets knocked off before I can attach the windshield?
IMG-6701.jpg
IMG-6703.jpg

Great work John!  That is going to be  stunner for sure. Lots of sanding and filling work can make for the doldrums before getting to the cool parts.

6 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'I won't be able to fashion a pop-off spinner using magnets'

Could you provide a look-see link for me?

Id be interested in that as well! Ive got quite the selection of differently sized R.E. magnets and would love to utilize them for props. AAMOF, Im at that very point right now on my Ki-45. I found the prop shaft to propeller/spinner connection very loosy/goosy and not to my liking.   

Thanks so much for the comments guys!  Greatly appreciated, as always!

6 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

What a great update.

'I won't be able to fashion a pop-off spinner using magnets'

Could you provide a look-see link for me?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

26 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work John!  That is going to be  stunner for sure. Lots of sanding and filling work can make for the doldrums before getting to the cool parts.

Id be interested in that as well! Ive got quite the selection of differently sized R.E. magnets and would love to utilize them for props. AAMOF, Im at that very point right now on my Ki-45. I found the prop shaft to propeller/spinner connection very loosy/goosy and not to my liking.   

Since my build log for my last D-9 was on a different site, I'll cut and paste the entry here...

The detail that Henri Daehne supplies with his prop assemblies is beautiful but most of it ends up getting hidden by the spinner.  Due to the sparse attachment area between the backplate and the bottom edge of the spinner, I've had to glue the spinner on and locking all of that detail away.  As more people commented on it, the more I thought about trying to make the spinner removable.  The foam clay mold idea was a failure but  Bruce came up with a tantalizing solution... magnets.

The ones Bruce posted were tiny... didn't know they came that small.  I actually bought one size bigger.. 3mm x 1mm discs.
IMG-4096.jpg

The plan was to remove the prop hub, drill a 3mm hole from the bottom and stick a magnet in the hole.  I could then glue another magnet at the tip from the inside and hopefully that would keep the spinner attached.  But as I've said, I've taken great pride in increasing the strength of all of the glue joins INCLUDING the prop hub.  Long story short... I could not get it off.  I went as far as giving it a whack with a hammer while the hub was held by a vise.  I thought I'd better stop before I ruin the hub or bend the shaft.

Then another idea... why not just drill the 3mm hole from the TOP of the hub?  I could re-make the hub details with punched plastic easily enough.

So I sliced off the detail from the top of the hub.
IMG-4118.jpg

Drilled a shallow hole into the hub using a 3mm drill bit.
IMG-4119.jpg

The little magnet fits almost perfectly!
IMG-4120.jpg

Hub detail replaced using punched plastic discs.
IMG-4121.jpg

Hub looks good as new after some paint!
IMG-4126.jpg

Another magnet was superglued into the tip of the spinner.  There was a slight gap between the magnet and the top of the hub but I added a magnet to reduce the gap.  So... does it work?  Yup!  Like a charm!  The magnets pulls the spinner into place with a satisfying click even against gravity.
IMG-4128.jpg

The spinner comes off at any time to reveal the hub details... success!
IMG-4127.jpg

6 hours ago, rafju said:

What a great thread!

What great pictures!

:thumbsup:

@Thunnus

John, please which camera do you use for such perfect closed view?

Thanks Rafju!  I use a Canon point and shoot camera for my work in progress photos.  It is a Canon S110.  I've been using the old Canon S-series for a while now (S40, S50, S95, S100 and now S110) but I think it has dropped out of the Canon line-up, unfortunately. The S-series was characterized by being a small point-n-shoot with the capability of producing RAW images.  This gives me more flexibility when processing photos.  I shoot in RAW and process in Adobe Lightroom.  The key is having good lighting so you don't have to use the flash on the camera.  I have three desk lamps on my small hobby desk.

IMG-5703.jpg