1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ta152H-0 White 7

Thunnus

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!  Finally some movement on this build.  As you recall, the wing bottom on this H-1 kit was extensively modified to backdate this to an H-0. This included large access panels, which I made scribing templates for.  I initially thought that I could scribe the small latches using two circles as a basis for each latch.
IMG-6524.jpg

After struggling to make one messy latch, it was obvious that trying to repeat the process consistently 12 times was not going to work.  So I shelved the idea of showing the latches on the panels.  As I progressed through the build, I became aware of another modeler who was working on the Z-M Ta152H-0 kit and had sanded off his access panel latches while getting the wing panels to fit (similar struggles as me).  He posted his dilemma and Woody from Archer Fine Transfers said that he could develop some latch transfers.  A couple of other people chimed in, including myself, so I put the build on hold as I waited for the transfers to be developed.

What I received were raised transfers, similar to Archer's rivets.  These were intended to applied and painted over, creating a raised detail that could be highlighted with a wash.  I tried it out and found that I could not get a dark wash to hold due to the small size/height of the transfer.
IMG-8234.jpg

So I reported my test findings back to Woody and requested decals showing the latches as outlines.  After a short wait, I received the outline decals.  I immediately knew these were going to work great!
IMG-8313.jpg

Here is the access panel without latches...
IMG-8312.jpg

Access panel with the latches added.  I added latches to the smaller rectangular hatch as well.
IMG-8314.jpg

With this issue resolved, I can move on with the weathering of White 7.  Special kudos and thanks to Woody at Archer Fine Transfers and the LSP community for accommodating such a supportive and generous modeling community!
IMG-8316.jpg

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the comments, especially since this build has been paused more than once.  I think there is a natural momentum that is developed with each build.  When that is interrupted, I find it difficult to re-start that engine.  Another negative with having multiple on-going builds, I guess.

I've augmented the chipping using a sponge, which is very subtle and probably not visible in these photos.  The model has been given a flat coat.

IMG-8338.jpg
IMG-8339.jpg
IMG-8340.jpg
IMG-8342.jpg
IMG-8343.jpg