1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ta152H-0 White 7

Thunnus

12 hours ago, jumpjack said:

Brilliant masking!

Just a question- were the blades entirely wood with no leading edge sheathing?

les

Thanks Les but I really don't know any specifics about the prop construction other than they were primarily wood.  I know the wood props on the D-9 had metal plated leading edges so it quite possible that the VS9's were constructed the same way but I chose not to replicate this.

I finally got the radiator flaps and cowling into place.  It took some force and fidgeting to get it to seat right.  The clear parts have also been glued into place.  
IMG-7859.jpg
IMG-7860.jpg

With all of the forward fuselage components in place, I wanted to check to make sure the HD prop looks ok when mounted.
IMG-7863.jpg
IMG-7862.jpg
IMG-7861.jpg

The canopy frames were painted in RLM 66 Dark Grey from the outside.
IMG-7866.jpg

The cowling has been primed with Mr Surfacer 1200.  The painting process can now begin!
IMG-7867.jpg
IMG-7868.jpg
IMG-7869.jpg

Thanks guys!  It took a lot of work to get to this point but I'm finally here, with all of the fit and clean-up issues behind me. It's time to start painting on the Ta152H-0.  Most of my usual bag of tricks will be employed.  Starting with a panel line pre-shade.
IMG-7874.jpg

When I got to the top, I realized that I wanted to do some wing root chipping with hairspray so I had to stop the pre-shading and get some metal color (Tamiya AS-12) on, followed by hairspray.
IMG-7875.jpg

I let that dry a full day before I finished the panel line pre-shading.
IMG-7877.jpg

I like to apply an irregular mottled base underneath my camo colors to add a touch of depth to the model.  I used to just freehand a mottle pattern but have started to use different masks to create some edge variation.  The majority of mottle is created spraying through a piece of green scrubbing pad.
IMG-7880.jpg

This is then augmented in different areas with a cardboard random pattern template designed for airbrush artists.
IMG-7882.jpg
IMG-7885.jpg

Pre-shading done, I can move on to the first color... the light blue RLM 76 on the undersides.
IMG-7883.jpg

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Guessing RLM 83/81/76?

Did that supercharger hole get filled, or is there a mask for that?

Matt 

I'm going with 82/83/76.  I left the supercharger intake off to make painting easier and the hole has been left empty.  I really don't care if any overspray gets in there because I'm gluing the supercharger intake on top of it after painting.

Applying the RLM 76... here we go!  I'm using AK Real Colors for this shade.  I really like how this color goes on. Thinned at 2:1 with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner, it goes on very smoothly with enough transparency to dial in the pre-shading effect.
IMG-7886.jpg

I had the bright idea of using Mr Hobby Aqueous RLM 76 to provide a slight contrast to some panels.
IMG-7887.jpg

To fully utilize the pre-shading, I paint panel by panel, trying to build up the most paint in the middle of the panel and to leave the edges just a little bit darker.  It's ok to be inconsistent and not too uniform so as not create an obvious grid pattern with the panel lines.
IMG-7889.jpg

Panel by panel, I start covering the bottom.  It's also a final check to see if my re-surfacing work turned out ok and the rivet holes register under this coat of paint.  I'm pretty happy with how this troublesome area looks under a coat of paint.
IMG-7890.jpg

Ok... the bottom is done.  The pre-shade effect is very subtle and usually doesn't register visually until you get closer to the model.  There will other layers of weathering that will add some depth to the model later so we don't have to accomplish everything with the pre-shade.  It's also important to go back to an area that you think you've finished as the Tamiya Lacquer Thinner can "bite" into the darker mottle and bring it to the surface as the paint dries.
IMG-7891.jpg

We continue the RLM 76 up the sides of the fuselage.
IMG-7893.jpg
IMG-7894.jpg

Compared to the pre-shading, the application of the RLM 76, even with the highly-thinned mix, goes pretty quickly.  For whatever reason, I don't like the contrast between the two RLM 76 shades on the topside.  I think it'll get knocked back quite a bit by the application of the topside green colors but it is bugging me.
IMG-7898.jpg
IMG-7899.jpg
IMG-7900.jpg
IMG-7901.jpg

I like how the bottom turned out.  The contrast here seems to work better and adds a bit of visual interest to an otherwise boring landscape.
IMG-7895.jpg
IMG-7896.jpg
IMG-7897.jpg

First stage of painting is complete.  I now must gather my references as there are some things I need to note about the topside camo like how high the demarcation line is, the mottle pattern and how to go about doing that sawtooth pattern on the leading wing edge.

IMG-7902.jpg

Excellent start to the painting.  I'm guessing the Mr. Hobby color is the grayer version of RLM76?  I think it'll get toned down as you go, but maybe one super-thin coat of the AK color will blend it in exactly as you want?

Matt 

On 5/13/2020 at 11:19 AM, scvrobeson said:

Excellent start to the painting.  I'm guessing the Mr. Hobby color is the grayer version of RLM76?  I think it'll get toned down as you go, but maybe one super-thin coat of the AK color will blend it in exactly as you want?

Matt 

Yes, the Mr Hobby RLM 76 has more a grey tone than the AK Real Color version.  I mixed the two and re-sprayed the upper panels to tone down the effect.

The RLM 76 has been established and so it time to put the top colors on.  I am going with Bright Green (RLM 82) and Dark Green (RLM 83) for the upper colors.  I've seen some variations with RLM 81 but I just wasn't feeling the Brown-Violet on this build.    I don't really like AK Real Colors RLM 82 and their RLM 83 is actually a BLUE shade (long story there..) so I'm reverting to Mr Hobby Aqueous versions of these two colors, which I've used before.

I broke traditional order (lighter colors first) and did the Dark Green on both wing roots first so that I could get the hairspray chipping out of the way.  After that was done, I did the Bright Green on the starboard wing.  Instead of spraying the Bright Green areas on the other wing, I decided to complete the starboard wing and sprayed the Dark Green.
IMG-7903.jpg

White 7 is known to have a distinctive sawtooth pattern that wrapped the upper camo colors onto the bottoms of the wings.  I used the Silhouette Portrait to cut a custom mask to make things easier.
IMG-7904.jpg

After both wings were done, I decided to soften the demarcation on the sawtooth pattern.
IMG-7905.jpg
IMG-7907.jpg

I wasn't getting a fine enough spray out of my Iwata HP-C Plus so I busted out the Badger SOTAR and used that instead.
IMG-7910.jpg

I painted the 82/83 on the fuselage as well but I stopped short of the actual demarcation line as I want to study my references first.
IMG-7912.jpg
IMG-7913.jpg
IMG-7914.jpg
IMG-7915.jpg
IMG-7916.jpg

Next, I will lower the demarcation line and do some mottle work.