Gripen E

Finn

11 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

That pic almost looks like a computer sim game shot.  I do like the scheme though.

Greg

I wasn’t 100% convinced the photo wasn’t a very well done CGI, but a google image search for “Saab 39 Gripen E” shows at least two more photos of this plane in the splinter scheme. 

Im looking forward to seeing whether or not Brazil puts their grey and green camo scheme into their birds when they start flying in a few years time.  it’ll be a gorgeous colour combo on this plane, especially if they start playing with splinter or digital patterns!

I like the camo, but not as much as the color version of Swedish Splinter. The color almost looks like that grey splinter camo done for an athlete's car... wasn't he a Swedish Olympian? But the car was more complex, like the Viggen. If only we had kits of this and the other Saabs, I'd be a happy camper.

Tnarg

• 1 year later...

The new generation Gripen -E is also sold to Brazil. It has new systems, weapons etc and is a heavier aircraft. I looked at various photos and SAAB website: 

https://www.saab.com/products/gripen-e-series

It seems that of the Gripen E the (main) landing gear is also quite different than the earlier Gripen -C and -D. Looking at photos, it was not really clear to me what has changed besides the fact that they retract inside the wing in stead of fuselage. It seems the -E has much more fuel, but where they put the extra fuel is also a bit unclear. Is it in a thicker wing root fairing combined with different main gear bays?

Anyone any ideas on these visible -E changes?