Fw190 V21 prototype

Alain Gadbois

On 2/11/2020 at 12:40 AM, Gazzas said:

I haven't been around much, but glad to see the amazing work you done!

Thanks! Glad that you come take a look and comment!

On 2/11/2020 at 2:17 AM, Greif8 said:

Wow, continued awesome work!

Thank you, this is great encouragement!

So I have completed the main detailing work in the wheel wells, that tuned out to be much more complex than I first thought! The uplock mechanism was completed with details from Ta 152 drawings that show diagonal braces added. It will be time to prime and paint RLM02. A few wires and cables still need to be added, a bit later, as they will certainly be broken off until some more assembly is done.

MzPbklm.jpg

2GLjDqh.jpg

Now a little step that is so simple that I managed to mess up! I glued in one underwing insert (CA and plastic glue), and the fit was excellent, but the profile of the part was different than the wing, leaving a noticeable lower surface relative to the wing in some areas! I tried to bend to improve but this looked like something would break. I went from inside the wing and removed material until the insert was visible. I managed to slip in the necessary shims until the exterior surface was even with the wing.

Z7oOqmZ.jpg

For the second one I added just one styrene shim and test fit before gluing and fit was perfect. The joints were filled with CA and scrapped and sanded soon after curing so they would not be too hard.

6EhsAqw.jpg

Now I have to finish the engine section to be able to join the fuselage halves together, and then turn again to the exterior of the engine panels.

Bye for now!

Alain

On 2/17/2020 at 3:45 AM, Greif8 said:

Continued awesome scratchbuiding Alain.

Thank you! I really appreciate your comments!

10 hours ago, Kais said:

Alain,
I see you've blanked over the MG151/20 ejection ports but the mounts are still in place.
I'm confused. Were the mounts retained but the canons not fitted?
Also, why was the nose longer than the Dora?
Nice work on all fronts.

The V21 did not have weapons, but  was built by converting standard parts. A good photo shows the wing gun ports covered with a round cover. I will add a cover to the underwing chutes and leading egde ports. I have no photo of the wheel wells, but I added the gun mounts as I figured they would not necessarily be removed. 

Why was the engine moved forward? Honestly I can't say. I just figured it out by looking at the photos (exhaust relative to the wing). Note the Ta152 had an even longer nose extension, and for this, the wings had to be moved forward also. The V21 extension could be a interim configuration to test the stability of a longer fuselage...

Alain