Fw190 V21 prototype

Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

I have engraved the new panel lines and hatches on both fuselage halves. Here is the left side that has the most modifications as you can see with the original part just below. The old panel lines still show because they have been filled in CA glue. A coat of primer will help and I see there is still some sanding dust that needs to be removed!

g0SPh1K.jpg

The hole in the spinner was drilled with an appropriate drill bit, and a bit of aluminum tubing cut that will be inserted in after painting

TkKh4tq.jpg

This is the propeller from the ZM kit, with its strange pointy tips.

NWYqIcP.jpg

I reshaped one blade to represent the specific type seen on this aircraft. I will make a small mold and cast three copies. The hub detail will be added too, before the mold is made. I made the photo against a neutral grey background (the inside of one fuselage half that was on hand!) so the shape is easier to see. 

hRZv6E9.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alain

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

A bit of progress done so here is a little update!

A coat of Tamiya primer on the left fuselage side. The new scribing came out quite well, but there are a few touch ups to do...

9QQhuT9.jpg

To continue with the top engine cowl, I have to close up the fuselage halves first. So I have started work on the cockpit section. The basic parts are quite good, so not much to ad really.

60VtyCK.jpg

I refined the kit seat to make the top part thinner and much more to scale compared to the original part at right.

37sUe00.jpg

The V 21 prototype has a pressurized canopy like the Ta 152 H. They quite probably have the same canopy rail design, which differs from the standard D-9. I glued a styrene strip all along under the cockpit edge on each side then used the big Olfa scriber to gouge out a track like the Ta. After, I added the additional details like the two reinforcement plates and opening mechanisms. The cockpit section didn't fit after this because of the modified rails, but with a bit of trimming it went in place without any trouble.

6jid2Jp.jpg

DzZNmKi.jpg

That's all for now!

Alain

Hi all!

The V 21 is a prototype and similar Fw 190 had additional instrumentation. I do not have a picture of the cockpit of this aircraft, but of two others. I have copied one for this project. There is a small panel added where the gunsight should be and another below the instrument panel. There will be a total of seven instruments I have to add there and additionally I have started drilling out the kit instruments to replace with decals (a couple are drilled on the kit part). 

fycMPIy.jpg

A unique characteristic of the V20 and V21 is the shape of the opening for the wheel wells. In short, the rear of the opening is straight compared to the standard Fw. The doors are thin styrene sheet that will be delicately shaped to fit the wing and lower fuselage contours.

uMe3b6I.jpg

At this point, the lower engine cowl had been filled and sanded to a close to final finish and the central cover between the wheels had the guns ports and the depression filled. The part was primed in dark grey. 

I tried to assemble all these elements, and noticed a break in the fuselage profile at the joint between front cowl and the central panel. The photo of the V21 (and normal D-9s) shows no break so there is something wrong here...

I added styrene strips and filled again to get the correct shape.

p2RDEFr.jpg

EwhyQd1.jpg

While this is going on, I adapted the cut out D-9 kit rudder to the ZM Ta 152 tail. The reason is to keep the pattern of the fabric surfaces uniform on the kit. Very good match in elevation but I had to add some styrene to widen the base.

IMK62aQ.jpg

0Tb3Vpr.jpg

I also kept the D-9 tailplanes for the same reason. The fit is also good and I bent up the moving surfaces to create a bit of interest. Note: do not forget to pull the stick back in the cockpit!

rcH0jQN.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alain

20 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Great stuff.

Sincerely,

Mark

18 hours ago, baffozac said:

Good start, I look forward to the rest !

Alain

Thank you Mark and Alain!

To insure a good adjustment for the under fuselage parts I have to sand to shape I should assemble the wing components. Some improvements can still be made to the nice wheel well part. I hollowed out the inner space in uplock mechanism, shown by the lower arrow.

Also, the V21 has a hydraulic wheel retraction system like the Ta 152. So I had to remove a section on the back of the part to fit the new appropriate details.

5Fjn2wn.jpg

The guns are not present on the V21, and the D-9 kit supplies two guns tubes with boots that couldn't be used here. I found correct pieces in the Ta 152 (partially built) kit so I quickly made two small molds to make the copies I will glue in place of the original parts .

qDY1y3T.jpg

I hope I can try to scratch the first of the bezels needed for the instrument panel tomorrow.

Bye for now!

Alain

Hi all!

Some head scratching questions popped up after the last update. I made the molds for the MG mounts and also the hydraulic retraction strut from the ZM kit. When fiddling with the ZM part, and looking at the ZM instructions, I realized the mounting point in the wings had the strut going right through the gear uplock housing of the D-9 kit. I checked all references and found out the Ta 152 had a different type of uplock with an opening for the strut compared with the D-9 one. 

So out came the Dremell and I removed a lot of material, so the strut would fit the modified D-9 wheel well. This is rough looking now, but some clean-up and additional details will complete this area satisfactorily.

Blt32Lj.jpg

Here are the molds for the parts with a piece of steel (from a drill bit) to represent the metal strut section.

14hEaCw.jpg

And the castings in resin. The original ZM part at top and the D-9 gear leg lower with a small brass pin inserted where the strut will be attached.

iztSMkK.jpg 

Dry fitting before doing the other side. I think that worked all right in the end!

1UupMik.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alain

16 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Highly skilled and creative work, Alain!

Kev

Many thanks Kev!

8 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

:speak_cool::clap2::popcorn:

Glad you are enjoying this Mike!

7 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Awesome work Alain.  The scratch built brake assembly is stunning!  I enjoyed the photos of your cat as well!  Mine used to "help" me on builds as well, but she will be 20 years old this spring and has slowed down considerably.  

Thank you! For the brake assembly, some of the photos are the result of the work of another modeler on this forum, who shared to help me. I rescued the wheel covers from the old Hasegawa kit as shown and still have to do the details inside.

20 years is quite a venerable age for a cat! Mine is not even 1 yet (March 2). When a box is opened he comes over and tries to nibble at the parts on the sprues. I had to teach him not jump on my work space that I clean up completely when I don't work. I gave him the ZM Ta 152 box top that he adopted and sleeps in every day!

Alain