Fw190 V21 prototype

Alain Gadbois

6 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

:popcorn:

6 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Nice progress Alain, liking how you are going about this conversion work.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks guys!

Great to know you're interested in this Fw prototype. I will try to explain as best I can the steps and techniques that you may use for your own projects

Alain

Hi all,

Scraping the hard epoxy resin of the right side. Almost to the styrene sheet glued on from the inside.

1PYr64Z.jpg

I have applied some more epoxy on the inside of the fuselage where the previous intake used to be, and also on the inside of the top cowl part, which I cut in two at the panel line position. 

UDK2IIL.jpg

BNdgcRX.jpg

I've modified slightly the angle of the front lower edge of the kit cowl with a piece of sheet styrene scraped to the correct shape. The right side piece still needs to be trimmed.

While looking at this area, I started to realize many details appear very different from a standard Fw-190 D-9: no strengthening steel strips and an access hatch in a different position. The molded on strips were scraped off and the access panel drawn in to check for its correct position. There may be a new vertical panel line at the position of the rear of the windscreen (a line drawn is visible in the lower right corner of the photo). I will try to confirm this and other details by looking more precisely at all the photos.

q9JmGXv.jpg

The top cowl parts temporarily in place, with the gun openings filled in. I started to cut the top part of the cowl bulges (not easy to see in the photo) to get the correct shape.

l1PqTVB.jpg

A visitor came over to see what I was doing... After trying to nibble the fuselage sections I opened the Ta 152H box and offered him the lid...Seems he loved it! Still sleeping in it now!

8yvGBjw.jpg

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

Here is the work I have done on the top cowling parts.

I have sanded the top section to obtain the correct slope. As you can see, this resulted in going completely through the plastic part where the bulges were located.

xubF4G0.jpg

The forward cowl section was extended by laminating many strips of thin styrene sheet. 

SwXykv6.jpg

And from the side, we now have a straight line from the windscreen to the front of the cowl. There is still a small amount of material to remove where both parts touch, as the rear cowl section doesn't completely sit in its place.

zH72Z2H.jpg

Now that the top profile is defined, the sides need to be shaped to get the shape of the the small bulge mainly visible in the first photo of V21 on page 1.

Thanks all!

Alain

Hello all!

After examining the photos carefully, I can say the top of the cowl is of a regular curved shape. This is very visible in this photo of the prototype:

3W9ajOP.jpg 

I have drawn a curve on the front of the rear cowl part. The photo is taken towards the rear of the model.

wnF9RFP.jpg

Using a new blade, I began removing material carefully along the pencil line.

9coPIHE.jpg

Then began blending this curve to the angular shape close to the windscreen.

9lQsKmB.jpg

The V21 cowl hinge line is where the pencil line is drawn, and you will notice the bulge on the prototype continues forward right over the D-9 hinge on the kit. The front cowl part will need to be glued in place to be able to complete the bulge shape in this area. That also means the fuselage halves will have to be joined together, as fixing the top cowl part locks them in place. 

sJMe90l.jpg

Looking into another part of the project, I found some wheels in a bag of bits given to me a long time ago. I have no idea from which kit they are from, but the hubs are just the correct size for my V21. The tires need to have the ribs filled up though, and I will need to detail them a bit and hollow out the 6 holes each wheel.

RCmyMyg.jpg

Bye for now!

Alain

Hi all!

After looking at all the options, I decided to switch the hubs of the wheels to get the correct mix of early hub plus smooth tire.

Here's what I did:

After scoring around the hub with a sharp X-acto, I sawed away the maximum material before trimming closely. The small hole in the spinner is the first step to make the large opening seen on  Fw 190 prototypes.

D30vy8B.jpg

After the edge was nice and even, I sanded the back side on the belt sander to open the holes in the hub. The machine was not turned on! I used it because of the coarse grade to remove a lot of material quickly, in a circular motion with a finger.

WZ9Kp6a.jpg

The edge of the kit hub was scored with a blade, but the plastic being much thinner, I was able to cut through after a little while. The inside was sanded with a piece of tubing and sandpaper until the correct diameter was achieved. 

FwWcdmT.jpg

The result is pretty good. The diameter of the new hub is just a bit more than the kit part, but this will not be noticeable I'm sure.

fqrJh08.jpg

I have done the second wheel after the photos were taken, and I still have to add detail to the center of the hub according to my references.

Bye for now!

Alain

Earlier I thought I was installing these images here.  But I installed them on my thread instead.  If you need more, or different, let me know.

DCMCUmo.jpg

JJCPCA4.jpg

P9oKVEO.jpg

Got the Imgur thing semi-figured out.  Hope this is what you're interested in.  If you study what I've done compared to the photo you will see my error.  The 3 inner discs should be indentations.  I misinterpreted the image and didn't pick up the misinterpretation until after I took the photo.

Sincerely,

Mark

18 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Excellent work, very interesting project. 

17 hours ago, Madmax said:

This is great to watch Alain! You are clearly not afraid of slicing up a kit :blink:.

Thank you!

I must say that I paused a second with the razor saw in my hand: do I really want to cut up this perfectly good kit?...Yeah, ok, let's do it!

I reality, the cutting part was easy, it's all the many differences that one seems to discover when you are actually working on the conversion that take a lot of time.

Like all the different panel lines:

There is an additional panel line at the front. To be perfectly parallel to the one next to it, I used a compass to lightly scribe the new line which starts at the tip of the red arrow. Next finished with an Olfa scriber (forgot to make a photo...)

vybwUub.jpg

There is a fuselage panel line which is lower than on any other Fw190. To measure it, I placed a piece of paper directly on the photo on the computer, tracing the position the new panel line, the wing fairing at bottom and the canopy lower edge at top.

blY4ErX.jpg

Note: the original photo elsewhere shows that line much better.

I placed the piece of paper on the kit part and with much luck, it was perfectly to 1/32 scale! I had already engraved the new line when I took the photo. You can clearly see the original line just above it.

rtcDrph.jpg

Today I went to the local hobby shop and purchased a Microscale train decal sheet that will give me the correct type of numbers for the serial number atop the fin:

fOZqRR5.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Alain