Fw190 V21 prototype

Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

When my friend François Huot passed away, I purchased many started kits that I could use for my own projects. One of those is the Fw190 V21 that has many interesting caracteristics. I will discuss these in detail when they come up in the build.

Here is the aircraft, with pictures I have found over time on the internet:

F7XTLPU.jpg

3W9ajOP.jpg

dL9v1xi.jpg

This one is from Fw190 V20, but shared most of the caracteristics of the V21:

BQpmPyq.jpg

So I have obtained three Hasegawa D-9 kits, variously started. One seems to be only missing the propeller blades and I will be using it for this project:

FncmiKg.jpg

I put all the loose bits in a ziploc, only the aux. tank is glued together. The canopy was found in another of the D-9 kits!

nocX2mo.jpg

The only problem is the the great shrink in the flaps, but that can be filled in easily eventually.

1cvOhQ9.jpg

I hope you enjoy this build!

Alain

3 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Always love another good 190 build! Sorry to hear of your friends passing however.

Would you please explain a bit about what makes the V21 different from a 190D that most of us know? A single exhaust pipe at the rear of the cowling is the only obvious difference I see.

Thank you!

The exhaust is the most obvious, yet probably the most superficial difference between the V21 and a regular D-9.

Here is a short list:

The engine is positioned further forward,

Different engine cowl without guns (no guns in the wings also),

very long air intake on the right side,

different propeller,

the cockpit is pressurized with a canopy like the Ta 152H,

Ta 152 tail unit,

landing gear opening is unique to the V20 and V21(see the covers),

and enlarged radio hatch like the Ta152 E recon version.

Alain

I forgot to say the wheels are of the early model with round openings!

Edited by Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

First, here are the main references I used for the project:

Pphm4EK.jpg

So here is how I'm starting the conversion: I measured from photos the position of the exhausts on Fw190 V20, compared to the normal D-9 position.

The engine needs to be moved 4.4mm forward. I cut the fuselage in two, and after measuring carefully, glued on the forward section, aligned with the help of the kit exhaust housing

and a rigid piece of sheet styrene at top. The gap will be closed up with styrene strips glued inside and later epoxy putty.

SpIYc9c.jpg

On the right side I am removing the base of the regular intake. The pencil line is the position of the cut on that side.

6riaVBZ.jpg

The left side will dry completely before I cut and glue the opposing side.

Thank you for watching!

Alain

6 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Nice build choice Alain, great start and will be watching your progress with great interest 

Regards. Andy 

6 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Fascinating! Love to see this one come together... I'm sure it'll be educational as it will be interesting!

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

This will be very interesting!

:popcorn:

Thanks guys, I've been researching this project for some time now, and I think it will look quite unique with the stylish gear covers!

I've now cut the right nose section and prepared the parts to reassemble in the extended position. 

More photos soon!

Alain

I cut the second fuselage section a bit further forward than the left side. I was fiddling a bit with the engine parts, and I felt there could be a bit of interference with the inner reinforcing strips.

gJ3Fu8t.jpg

And glued with the halves taped together for alignement. The existing locating pins make for a very positive fit.

59NyCkK.jpg

Thanks all!

Alain

Hi all!

The engine is moved forward, and this is all visible through the wheel well opening. I decided to cut and extend the roof part of the engine compartment assembly.  I will restore the details in the gap with thin styrene. 

GTuMF9E.jpg

I discovered the new position of the front of the engine section interferes with one of the strips of styrene in place to fill the gap of the fuselage cut...so I shortened it. Luckily the other cuts are much more forward and don't cause any problems. 

MVBE33K.jpg

There are no guns so the some details have to go on this bulkhead, but I want to keep the structural detail in the center. Some scoring with a No 11 blade and a razor saw cut removes the unwanted parts.

pH5s0iH.jpg

Next I will be test fitting all these modified components and restore/ad details and fill in the fuselage sections.

Bye for now!

Alain

Hi all,

Today I am filling in the extended engine section, after adding strip styrene bits on the inside. I add  small drops of CA glue on the plastic surface to insure a good bond between the plastic and epoxy. Considering the cockpit is pressurized, the oval flare port will be filled in too. I just realized this while looking at the photo in Imgur...

6M6F5Rz.jpg

Hahch1W.jpg

Now a look at the other end of the fuselage. The tail section I have in this kit is the standard D-9 type. I have a ZM Ta 152 H tail from I started kit I got from François for 5$, which will become a source of spares for this project and others also.

I drilled 4 holes in the Hasegawa fuselage to make the ZM parts fit and the resulting joint is just as good as the original kit parts!

25IXsxL.jpg

SGmoIW4.jpg

Thank you for watching!

Alain

14 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I really like the lines on this aircraft.   Thanks for sharing your build with us Alain.   

Troy 

Thanks Troy,

That's why I decided to model this specific aircraft. There's an elegance to its lines that has caught my interest for a while, and I really want to see it in model form.

Alain