B-17F artifact info

A veteran friend recently gave me this data plate from a B-17F. I can discern that it is dated "61143" (June 11, 1943), but I don't know exactly what part it's from. I know Briggs made all sorts of fuselage parts and control surfaces, bay doors, turrets, etc. Can any of you experten out there help me narrow it down?

20191223-204333.jpg

This is the only other data plate from an F model that I could find on the internet - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/283643-type-plate-for-b-17f-how-to-id/.

I don’t think you are correct about the stamp being a date, that is a part #, so the date wouldn’t be stamped on it. Obviously this is a part that is handed, as it shares the first part of the same number with a similar component.

My guess this is from a part for the Brigg’s manufactured (Sperry) Ball Turret. Briggs made drive motors and vacuum pumps.

And I guess it is related to the other part #. They share similar part # so they are likely sub -assemblies. I found a few other examples online and they are all off of B-17 ball turrets.

I’ll see I can find more info.

Your guess on the ball turret is a good one, though the other examples I could find were on a flap or aileron and had a similar part number, so no telling for sure.

The only reason i think the 5 stamped digits at the right of the main number are the date, is that the other example of an F model tag claimed it was a date (it ended with 42), and the newer tags from the G models had an actual space for the date in that same location. Seemed reasonable to think they started putting dates on them where they could find room, then modified the tag on later models? Also, I think the four digit number followed by -R is the part number, which would match up perfectly with your "handing" idea. I hadn't thought of that before, good one. Makes me think it may have been a flap or aileron after all.

Edited by BiggTim

Im fairly certain the data plate pictured is from the horizontal stabiliser - possibly an elevator.

I seem to recall seeing such a data plate pictured when the folks restoring the B-17 known as ‘Lacy Lady’ from atop the fuel station were dismantling it - I can’t for the life of me find the pictures now!

Tom

B.D.V stands for Boeing-Douglas-Vega with a part number 75-4799-601, which is the wing fuel tank access door.  This particular door was located on the bottom of the wing between the engines (Sta 7-11).  I don't have the B-17F IPB (I dont think there is one) but the B-17G IPB (Dash 4) shows it (different dash number [-602]).  I verified the part ID from the Boeing blueprints. I believe the "61143" is the serial number of the part, which may or may not also be the date of the part acceptance/QA pass.

6aweZsH.png

B-17F E&R (01-20EF-2, Revised 3-1-43)

BwhxO4i.png

Edited by Juggernut
added images

Great find, I was searching for what BDV represented for hours last night.

I think you are correct that the last digits are part of a QA acceptance, I don’t think they are a date stamp, as I found another very similar data plate that only has four digits. Unless it was a month prior to October though.

2 hours ago, Juggernut said:

B.D.V stands for Boeing-Douglas-Vega with a part number 75-4799-601, which is the wing fuel tank access door.  This particular door was located on the bottom of the wing between the engines (Sta 7-11).  I don't have the B-17F IPB (I dont think there is one) but the B-17G IPB (Dash 4) shows it (different dash number [-602]).  I verified the part ID from the Boeing blueprints. I believe the "61143" is the serial number of the part, which may or may not also be the date of the part acceptance/QA pass.

6aweZsH.png

B-17F E&R (01-20EF-2, Revised 3-1-43)

BwhxO4i.png

Wow, that's awesome, thanks!