Cockpit frame cross bracing

Kurt

What is the best way to approach to rigging the cross bracing wires in WNW cockpit frames? Looking at the very delicate frame work it seems like drilling holes for attaching the wires has the potential of completely destroying the frame. Also do most people rig the frames before or after painting the frames? I have fine wire and monofilament, which would probably give the “safest” result? Thanks.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Paint all the frames first....

plus the metal fittings details.

Use good magnification to help you drill out the anchor holes for the rigging. Try and drill from the reverse of the piece if possible to prevent damaging the surface of the painted parts. Attach 0.15mm or 0.12mm monofilament ( fishing line). Use a cocktail stick to apply CA glue to anchor the ends of the monofilament, one at a time. Take your time et voila.

EZ line is used by many too but maybe it will perish over time....who knows?

I use pieces of wire and tack glue them into the corners. Paint the kit first, then glue the bracing wires in place, much like Palm-tree recommends but with copper or nickel-silver wire

I don't always fit the turnbuckles, just add a dab of paint instead

These bracing wires don't draw the eye much in the narrow confines of a cockpit, there are more interesting things to look at like the seat, stick, instruments, etc

Richard