Revell Me 262b Trainer

Wackyracer

8 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Great job so far!  Kinda disappointing to see the fit issues on the nose.  I thought the Revell kit might be a big improvement on the Trumpeter in this area.

I think it would be fine opened up. It's got quite a lot of flash and soft mouldings which is a slight disappointment for a newish release. I have the 262a version as well. Will open that box to see if the parts are the same quality.

Got a base coat of rlm66 into the pit

kaDTlxn.jpg

Then worked on the front end with superglue and sanding sticks

aqGSWBh.jpg

made the engines up and fitted the cowlings. Nice fit all round, just one part that needed a superglue fillet.

nENuDxi.jpg

fRyJswx.jpg

BXjurX0.jpg

Test fit of fuse to wings and again no foreseeable problems

3Wc0iZR.jpg

jaXCWtz.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, Wackyracer said:

Got a base coat of rlm66 into the pit

kaDTlxn.jpg

Great work so far! 
Please keep in mind that the the trainer version of the 262 had a different "top shelf" around the cockpit openings. That is an emergency jettison system for the canopy, which was present only on the night fighter and not present on the trainer. 

Here is a photo of the trainer canopy (more here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969886-avia-s-92-cs-92/  ) : 
c13.jpg

Here is a photo of the canopy on the night fighter (more here: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=152  ) : 
152-15.jpg

As you can see, on the trainer, the canopy is secured directly to the fuselage. On the night fighter the canopy is secured to a frame, raised above the fuselage, which in turn is secured to the fuselage. The height of the canopy measured from the ground to the top of the clear parts is exactly the same on both aircraft but on the night fighter the bottoms of the canopies are "trimmed" in order to account for this jettison frame, which makes the side windows appear "squat" on the night fighter. 

I hope this helps. 

Radu 

On 12/10/2020 at 9:13 AM, Radub said:

Great work so far! 
Please keep in mind that the the trainer version of the 262 had a different "top shelf" around the cockpit openings. That is an emergency jettison system for the canopy, which was present only on the night fighter and not present on the trainer. 

Here is a photo of the trainer canopy (more here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969886-avia-s-92-cs-92/  ) : 
c13.jpg

Here is a photo of the canopy on the night fighter (more here: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=152  ) : 
152-15.jpg

As you can see, on the trainer, the canopy is secured directly to the fuselage. On the night fighter the canopy is secured to a frame, raised above the fuselage, which in turn is secured to the fuselage. The height of the canopy measured from the ground to the top of the clear parts is exactly the same on both aircraft but on the night fighter the bottoms of the canopies are "trimmed" in order to account for this jettison frame, which makes the side windows appear "squat" on the night fighter. 

I hope this helps. 

Radu 

thanks Radu, so do i need to remove the 2 strips on the fuselage?

4 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

thanks Radu, so do i need to remove the 2 strips on the fuselage?

As I mentioned, the kit has a "shelf" at the top of the cockpit opening. This shelf stands "proud" of the fuselage (but it is also slightly "sunken" into the fuselage). On the real thing this housed the jettison mechanism for the canopies. You can see it in the photos of the night fighter I linked above. The trainer did not have this canopy jettison mechanism, so the canopies were connected to the fuselage.

The top of the cockpit, with the two openings for the cockpit, should be flush and the same level from the front edge of the windscreen part to the back, at the same level as the existing "shelf" for the windscreen. 

The problem is not as much with the "shelf" itself but with the canopy... The canopy will be missing a chunk at the bottom. As you can see in the photos, the canopies of the night-fighter have a portion removed at the bottoms in order to make room for that jettison mechanism. The solution may be to cut the canopies at the horizontal frames and make new lower clear panels out of the clear plastic (a CD box, for example) - they are flat anyway. 

HTH 

Radu 

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments and advice. 

Its somewhat ironic that I asked Brad if I could move this build over cos I wasn't sure if it was past 25%, and now it feels like I've took several steps back, to correct so 10% in :D

So canopy/tub correction, reference...

qNJ6dRG.jpg?1

I do have volume 1 also but that covers the design and development rather than 2 seaters.

ambt0iM.jpg

the Czech Avia book has the clearest images and also the 262 in action has 2 drawings side by side of the visual differences between B1a and 1a/U variates. 

these are the offending rails

QiLjYRg.jpg

Interesting to see the sinkmarks on the fuselage

Jo70w8Z.jpg

So to try and hide/eliminate the rails I sanded them flush to the fuse

BqT93ul.jpg

The rails are part of the top cover, not the fuselage, hence the visible join above, but I seem to have made them disappear.

I also took the brave/mad/silly (delete as appropriate) to remove the high/deep frame at the base of the canopy, with the view to re-scribe or replace with a thinner frame.

LdRPE5b.jpg

you can clearly see my halfway through attempts on the rear section, note to self, youtube = polishing canopies techniques!

eoT8j8U.jpg

kOd6YMc.jpg

Being in a rectification frame of mind and with all the sanding/polishing stuff to hand I also set about the nose section and the poor fit of the gun doors and thanks to my reference books the removal of the 2 bumps.

iR23fcX.jpg

3GB8oZH.jpg

Another coat of Mr Surfacer and looking better. Needs some panels reinstating but much happier.

EqdhkJG.jpg

Finally photo of the top section with the reduced side rails

eT4GhrQ.jpg

Aaron