SPAD V.II Nr.115 Esc.3 Georges Guynemer

RLWP

So, I want to model this aeroplane:

Depart_SPAD_S115_GT.jpg

As found on this excellent website: http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille003_02.htm

and present it like this:

102_Spad_Corbeaulieu_GT.jpg

Also from the same website (highly recommended!)

To that end:

DSCF0288.JPG

DSCF0289.JPG

DSCF0290.JPG

There are new longerons at the front:

DSCF0292.JPG

DSCF0294.JPG

and the empty belt spool got smartened up in my lathe:

DSCF0320.JPG

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Just to add confusion, these two pictures were apparently taken on the same day (27th August 1916):

003_Guynemer_depart_mis.jpg  003_Gaston_Verdier.jpg

So, the stork is only on one side*! I wonder what colour that dorsal triangle is?

Richard

Source: http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille003_02.htm

*MORE: I notice the mirror is missing in the left image, and the windshield appears to be different

Edited by RLWP

24 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

What kit is this Richard ??

It's the Roden SPAD VII

If you are 'in' to SPAD VIIs it's an interesting kit. There are a lot of parts in it to make different manufacturer's SPADs, a feed drum and ammunition boxes and a variety of engine cowls. Most are labelled 'do not use' in the instructions

You'll notice I have avoided the notorious kit problem - the engine won't fit under all the panels - by leaving the panels off

Richard

Richard,

There were four Spad VII assigned to Guynemer: S115, S132, S254 and S413 between August 27,1916 and June 1917.
The plane on your photos was S115 received on August 27,1916 and destroyed a month later by French artillery (!). The dorsal triangle was black.

All these info come from your source, the albindenis site, very informative indeed.

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

24 minutes ago, quang said:

Richard,

There were four Spad VII assigned to Guynemer: S115, S132, S254 and S413 between August 27,1916 and June 1917.
The plane on your photos was S115 received on August 27,1916 and destroyed a month later by French artillery (!). The dorsal triangle was black.

All these info come from your source, the albindenis site, very informative indeed.

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

Thank you for that, Quang. My schoolboy French is enough to give me a rough idea of what is on that site, not enough to read details correctly. And Google Translate can just be confusing!

Richard

DSCF0376.JPG

Not much to see here. A comparison of the cockpit openings - the etch is thinner, the plastic has the brackets ahead of the instrument panel

On the right, I have reprofiled the bulge in the ammunition drum. That bulge covers the rear of the engine including the magnetos. Must have been a pain for the fitters

I'm making a new firewall, so I have salvaged the foot bulges

Richard

I have fallen into a photo-etch rabbit hole. I blame PART of Poland

DSCF0382.JPG

There's a weird, logical insanity to their designs that looks impossible and just works. Take the magneto - supplied as flat etch, there's probably nine parts in there soldered together.

The seat on the other hand is Eduard, I prefer their woven base

Richard

• 1 month later...

Whoops, looks like I haven't updated this thread for a while!

I have been messing around with the instrument panel and cockpit for ages, at last I have some of them fixed in place

DSCF0412.JPG

DSCF0411.JPG

The sun shining across my workbench makes for some interesting effects:

DSCF0419.JPG

DSCF0421.JPG

DSCF0423.JPG

This image got missed, I'll put it in now:

DSCF0405.JPG

Richard