Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

• 3 weeks later...

Surprise of surprises, I've actually been making some progress!  Even with the anniversary trip, and returning to a fairly busy work situation, Ive actually managed enough progress that more pics are probably warranted.

Ive got some wash drying on the interior of the fuselage and some touch-up to do, but should have some actual pictures to take tonight. Ill share soon! 

And as promised some shots of the recent work done............

First started off by getting some misc small stuff done. This includes some internal tail bulkheads, the tail wheel and retraction mechanism, O2 tanks, rear 7.92 mm machine gun's empty shell catcher, as well as the Type 97 20 mm cannon and ammo canister. I chopped off the OOB Type 97 barrel and installed the brass version from ZM, as well as chopping out the OOB tail wheel axle and fitting a new metal axle so I could close and smooth the two halves of the tail wheel gear:

20200713_221420-X2.jpg

20200713_221435-X2.jpg

20200713_221433-X2.jpg

I forgot the damn tail gear scissor mechanism, so Ill have to paint and add that separately later

20200713_221427-X2.jpg

Finally the main portion of time taken to this point, has been taken up with filling, sanding, priming and weathering the internal fuselage parts. There were a LOT of ejector pin marks on the internal fuse parts. Nothing came out perfect, but the weathering helped hid some of the filling flaws, as virtually NONE of this will be seen a whole lot beyond the back of the gunners station where the shell catch box is.

20200713_220803-X2.jpg

20200713_220809-X2.jpg

20200713_220812-X2.jpg

20200713_220816-X2.jpg

Thats all for now boys, but will be picking this one back up in the next few days, as its very near fuselage assembly time, and that is a pretty major step closer to getting this one completed.
I must say, the fit so far on this highly complex kit is exquisite. Its remarkable and quite fun to put together as long as you watch the assembly steps and pay attention to the instructions.

Hopefully will have a buttoned up fuselage in the next few days.

Cheers! 

Thanks gents. Feels good to at least get a bit of MoJo back. I'm in the midst of modifying my off road trailer as well and normally am not good at splitting my time. In this case we cant really go anywhere so bench time has come back for me a bit. 

Most all of the harder and some of the minor bits are finished for the interior, so fuselage assembly comes next. That I feel should also pick up my interest too, as Id love to finish this one strong and get back to my F7F.

Cheers!