Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Thanks Gents!!!   Really nice and and definitely keeps one motivated. 

Strange.....................I forgot to mention, all that hard work I poured into the engine stands was for not. ZM failed to tell you not to put on the engine bearers and firewall if you intend on using them!   Word to anyone else with this kit. If you intend on using the engine stands you would need to leave off the engine bearers and firewall, but would need to find a way to install the rear housing of the engine temporarily so you could go back later and install the bearers and firewall. Not sure how that would work if you planned on installing the engines but might not be worth the effort.

I guess I should have paid more attention to the picture they use of one of the engines on the stand.............no firewall or engine bearers!  :lol:  Looks to be something more aligned with displaying a separate engine. 

27 minutes ago, gunpowder said:

Looking Fantastic. I am just building the very same kit and i was wondering if i should paint the carbs and engine bearers? Can they bee seen through the UC bays do you think?

Thanks! That is really the only reason I painted and weathered the bearers and rear of my engines................I wasn't 100% convinced that you wouldn't be able to see them from the undercarriage bays. So I just went with paint and weathering to be on the safe side. :D

4 hours ago, gunpowder said:

Looking Fantastic. I am just building the very same kit and i was wondering if i should paint the carbs and engine bearers? Can they bee seen through the UC bays do you think?

You can catch a glimpse at the extreme forward/upper end of the bays, with a flashlight. ;)

Cheers,  Tom

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks Gents!!!   Really nice and and definitely keeps one motivated. 

Strange.....................I forgot to mention, all that hard work I poured into the engine stands was for not. ZM failed to tell you not to put on the engine bearers and firewall if you intend on using them!   Word to anyone else with this kit. If you intend on using the engine stands you would need to leave off the engine bearers and firewall, but would need to find a way to install the rear housing of the engine temporarily so you could go back later and install the bearers and firewall. Not sure how that would work if you planned on installing the engines but might not be worth the effort.

I guess I should have paid more attention to the picture they use of one of the engines on the stand.............no firewall or engine bearers!  :lol:  Looks to be something more aligned with displaying a separate engine. 

Brian,

That’s right, on this and other ZM builds such as the Ho.229. Those stands are for photo ops, unless maybe some builders purchase an extra engine sprue, which would actually be something I should think about :hmmm:! I’d recommend keeping the engines separate from the bearers anyway to facilitate alignment down the road when you assemble the cowlings.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

12 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yep, those are one of the sets of pages I DLed. That is the set that shows no parachute, no extra cannon mags under the shelf and the seat facing forward.

AFAICT, those are about the only changes to the rear gunners position.

Just had a look, yep, you're right.