Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Thanks Tom!  I'm hoping now that I have finally gotten around to the PO to send your kill marks off, that we can see some cool camo on yours! 

With family stuff taking precedent last night, I didn't get a chance to get back to the bench, but I'm planning on maybe finishing up the rest of the engine bearer and charger/carb parts tonight and getting them painted up so they can dry. This will finish off both engine assemblies, and then I can rest them on their stands  until needed later in the assembly process. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, I have simply not been keeping up on the pics and updates in this thread for some reason. That is NOT to say I haven't been working on the Ki-45 though! 

Bench time has been sporadic at best, but I have been managing to actually get some time in at the bench. Now looking at all the pics I have and what has been done since last I posted, Id actually say there has been some substantial progress in reality.

This one is going to be a bit pic heavy fellas so stay with me............. 

I started off by completing the engines. I have found I need to re-flat coat the props when I went to see what they looked like on the engine, as well as learning that the fit of the finished props to the finished engine prop hub was not great, and in fact was quite a sloppy fit. So the engines are finished in paint and assembly, but I had to tear the front trans and cooler ring off each one so I can address the slop issue with some brass rod and brass tubing.

The trans and cooling ring are just setting on the engines here till I can solve the aforementioned issue. I took some pics of the finished engines, then set the props on to see how they looked. For this project there is nothing added to these at all. ZM provides some excellent looking engines right out of the box, and the cowl comes right up to the edges of the cooler rings so very little if any of this will end up showing:

DSC_0525-XL.jpg

DSC_0524-XL.jpg

DSC_0526-XL.jpg

DSC_0529-XL.jpg

DSC_0531-XL.jpg

DSC_0532-XL.jpg

DSC_0533-XL.jpg

DSC_0535-XL.jpg

DSC_0537-XL.jpg

Next up I got the main wing box and associated cockpit and rear gunners position started. Lots and LOTS of stuff to go into these two positions, but worked on the pilots office first.

I have been playing with the white balance and the exposure on my Nikon D3400 (still a novice at its settings) so you'll have to excuse the occasional jump from super dark to super light and the occasional cat hair:

DSC_0507-XL.jpg

DSC_0511-XL.jpg

DSC_0512-XL.jpg

DSC_0513-XL.jpg

DSC_0515-XL.jpg

DSC_0516-XL.jpg

DSC_0519-XL.jpg

DSC_0521-XL.jpg

MORE...................

Thanks Tom!

Some misc cockpit parts painted up and weathered. I wanted the interior good and skanked up, but found whatever cover that was trying to be represented on the pilots seat was really not to my liking. It looked stiff and awkward on the seat, so I figured knowing the situation of the IJA/IJN toward the end of the war, I figured leaving it off would have been a very plausible situation.

DSC_0538-XL.jpg

The OOB seat belts for the lap of the pilots seat was not my best job, but it looks better IRL than in these high res pics:

DSC_0541-XL.jpg

DSC_0542-XL.jpg

DSC_0552-XL.jpg

Then it was time to start on some of the parts Andy sent me for the oblique firing cannons. I replaced the barrels wit the ZM brass option, which had much thinner scale fidelity to them. I know that my ship 93 is not shown with the blast suppression cannon tips, but I really liked the way they looked on, and thought it was entirely possible at some point it may have used them...............so whatever I put them on. :lol: 

DSC_0543-XL.jpg

DSC_0544-XL.jpg

Assembly of the forward cockpit started

DSC_0556-XL.jpg

Assembly, paint and weathering complete for the forward cockpit, and center section a well as the oblique firing cannons. The barrels are just press fit and will be removed and replaced after assembly of the fuselage:

DSC_0506_2-XL.jpg

DSC_0507_2-XL.jpg

DSC_0508_2-XL.jpg

DSC_0512_2-XL.jpg

DSC_0516_2-XL.jpg

Im off to try to get some paint on the rest of the rear cockpit sections. Till next time all!

13 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Greawork, and getting the decals to conform to the starboard pilot console is not easy, but you did a fantastic job. Nice weathering as well!

Yeah, those decals on the side console did not turn out like I like, but meh............it was way not worth the trouble to re-do them since it was only 1 or 2 boo boos there, and the fix might have made things worse. Plus I figure once all is said and done, you probably wont be able to see a ton in the pit anyway. 

Nice progress, Brian!

Will watch this closely with the same kit fresh on my pile, but with another japanese subject at the workbench now (Pit roads IJA 28cm siege howitzer). Got the resin wheels too. Have to check the shape of my tailwheel. BTW, I am not sure if the Yahoo dashboard is the correct one for this subtype. ZMs instructions  show both subtypes (with and without the circular instrument at the lower centre) depending on the aircraft you are building (marking option A vs. option B ). But for tonight I have had my share of Pinot noir (from the Black Forest, "Cool morning", indeed, yummie!), so i am not able to make it down into the basement to my workbench to check this one - or at least not to make it back to my pc ;)

Happy modelling!

- dutik

Thanks!

Yeah, it might not be.......but it might too! The ship I'm depicting has a mix of things from the Kai Ko and Kai Tei...its technically a Kai Ho, but has the oblique firing guns like. Kai Tei, but no cannon up front along with the flight stuck from a Kai Tei too. Having not been able to see the actual IP of the mixed plane I'm doing I'm going with the Yahoo IP. It's nice enough that unless I can find pictures of the exact plane I'm doing, I'll stick with it.

Thanks guys!

I'll look through the Kai Tei instructions more (I downloaded them after sending me the cannon parts) Andy, but as far as I can tell, the only differences in the two as far as the model goes, was the option to not have the under fuse cannon extra ammo drums, and the turning of the rear seat to face forward.

I'll have to peruse, the Tei instructions again, but so far those are the only changes to the rear gunners position I can see in the model.

34 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

You need to download pages 20 - 21

Yep, those are one of the sets of pages I DLed. That is the set that shows no parachute, no extra cannon mags under the shelf and the seat facing forward.

AFAICT, those are about the only changes to the rear gunners position.