Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

the only thing to learn is - with respect - that you will have been silly not to try it earlier :D

sprays from the bottle - no bs with trying to work out the best ration and all that nonsense

no waiting around for it to dry

dries extremely hard and is resilient to tamiya tape after a few minutes

pretty much any colour you can wish for (ironically Japanese colours are only just coming out)

will spray nicely at many pressures, but generally it will spray well at low pressure ie 10-15 psi

or put at it another way - if i can make it look half decent, it really MUST be easy :coolio:

now back to Brian's awesome build and the glory of masks!!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

OK, looks like I may have to give it a whirl.  Maybe for my next project I will purchase the colors I need in MRP and see how I like it.  I'll pick something that's paint-intensive, not NMF.

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

OK, looks like I may have to give it a whirl.  Maybe for my next project I will purchase the colors I need in MRP and see how I like it.  I'll pick something that's paint-intensive, not NMF.

Wise plan! I have to say, you may find what Nick said true.......they really are quite amazing.

Very use friendly.

Just buy, shake, pour and spray!

Can't wait to see how it turns out Brian!

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks one and all. Like Nick pointed out, MRP sprays about as nice as any modeler could hope for. 

Anyone know how MRP performs with hairspray chipping?

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

The Silouhette has been a nearly indispensable tool, and I can think that if one can afford it, it's a tool that every modeler should have in their arsenal.

I've definitely got my sights on a Cameo 4, just don't need it for my current build. Anyone else got experience with the Cameo 4?

Apologies for the hijack questions Brian, please feel free to DM me unless others would like to know.

Edited by turbo

11 minutes ago, turbo said:

I've definitely got my sights on a Cameo 4, just don't need it for my current build. Anyone else got experience with the Cameo 4?

I have a cameo 4, and haven't yet found any particular advantage over the cameo3 for cutting masks and thing plastic sheet parts. 

https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/ is a good place to start :D

The grey (or gray if you prefer) is down. Flowed like a dream, and after a few coats it was opaque enough for the true color to come out, but thin enough to still see some of the black (or in this case green) basing:

20201028_174609-XL.jpg

20201028_174614-XL.jpg

20201028_174627-XL.jpg

The top also turned out well, and hopefully will reduce the amount of paint ridge between all the colors. 

What at this point feels like hundreds of little Christmas presents to unwrap on the top.........

20201028_174827-XL.jpg

20201028_174922-XL.jpg

The rudder is just setting on at this point to see how well things lined up

20201028_174934-XL.jpg

20201028_174950-XL.jpg

20201028_174958-XL.jpg

On to opening some presents then!

Cheers

55 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

I cannae wait

You and me both brother!!

It was such fun taking them all off one by one (not joking at all) and in the end, it was quite worth it, as the end result is a bit striking if I do say so myself!

20201028_201618-XL.jpg

Pics in a bit.....

I must say, this turned out about well as I could have hoped. Im really pleased with this one. Very striking.....sorta like a flying giraffe.

Ta-da!

20201028_201705-XL.jpg

20201028_201745-XL.jpg

20201028_201805-XL.jpg

20201028_201853-XL.jpg

20201028_201901-XL.jpg

20201028_201918-XL.jpg

20201028_201937-XL.jpg

20201028_201944-XL.jpg

20201028_201950-XL.jpg

I'll have the rest of it unmasked and the chipping complete tomorrow sometime.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, RadBaron said:

I have a cameo 4, and haven't yet found any particular advantage over the cameo3 for cutting masks and thing plastic sheet parts. 

https://www.scalemodelpaintmasks.com/ is a good place to start :D

Another website to look at, particularly for cutting plastic using the Silhouette is https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/. It is a railroad modeling site and the blog started in 2013 and runs 99 pages so will take a while to go through, but has a lot of tips on using the Studio software.

Also check into the Silhouette School site: https://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/ and its related YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SilhouetteSchool/videos for tutorials on using the Cameo.

If you get the Cameo, I recommend upgrading to at least the Designer Edition for the additional tools available. See https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/software-and-download-cards/silhouette-studio for a comparison of each version.

Keith

Thanks gents!

Tom,

I'm not sure about a masterpiece, but it is turning out to be cool so far.

I'll be using some warm water to loosen the liquid mask and get the chipping done. From there I'll probably do washes, and some Tamiya weathering pallets.