Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Thank you gentlemen!

Yellow leading ledges are down and masked thanks to some quick scan and cut action on the Silouhette znd some Tamiya tape:

20201026_182309-XL.jpg

20201026_182314-XL.jpg

20201026_182321-XL.jpg

After the leading edges were masked it was on to a cleanup coat of aluminum. I'll fix of the bit of chipping before the camo gets sprayed. O

I have to say, I know I and others rave about MRP, but this MRP white aluminum went down like a dream:

20201026_185918-XL.jpg

20201026_185939-XL.jpg

20201026_190005-XL.jpg

20201026_190014-XL.jpg

The liquid mask sets up fairly quickly, so it's on to some camo soon!

Cheers

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I may have to try this MRP that you all rave about.  I just hate the thought of having to climb the learning curve with another paint system after having finally gotten halfway decent at using Gunze lacquers...

Honestly Alex since its acrylic, but suspended in a laquer medium, your learning curve would be relatively short.

I've been using MRP for a few years now, and vs the MM enamels I was using, it's a damn dream. They dry to a nice satin sheen within 20 min, with 0 thinning, mixing it guesswork. When cured it dries rock hard too. I can in all seriousness say MRP paints have made me a better modeler.  

Green is down.....Again, I have to say how utterly silky smooth the MRP paint laid down. Its not nearly as glossy as it appears here, possibly due to the aluminum underneath, but it comes out a nice satin sheen, smooth as silk.  

I left a lot less paint in certain areas like the wing root and along the fuse in spots. Its blotchy all over on purpose, as from looking at the blurry pics of the 1:1 it was possibly used and abused quite a bit. 

20201026_221205-X2.jpg

20201026_221248-XL.jpg

20201027_122221-XL.jpg

20201026_221305-XL.jpg

20201026_221326-XL.jpg

20201026_221349-XL.jpg

20201027_122302-XL.jpg

20201027_122402-XL.jpg

Now on to printing out some camo, and applying.............the real fun can begin! 

Cheers,

Gawd, that looks good, Bri. I need to find an alternative for my Model Master paints, and I am tempted to try these MRP’s.....but they are damned acrylics! I trash them constantly.....

Must ruminate on this....Keep up the great work!

THOR    :ph34r:

Edited by bdthoresen

4 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Gawd, that looks good, Bri. I need to find an alternative for my Model Master paints, and I am tempted to try these MRP’s.....but they are damned acrylics! I trash them constantly.....

Thanks!

I did too honestly. I could never make Tamiya or any other acrylics work to save my soul.

With MRP being laquer based and not water based it's a whole new experience. MM enamels are ALL I used to use until they went away. I loved how durable they were, and how smooth they shot, and MRP rivals the MM enamels on both those accounts. 

It doesnt need any mixing, thinning or guesswork, and you can use all the cool enamel washes and weathering products on it.

I got back on the PC and fired up the Silouhette. Having scanned the camo pattern in previously, I just cut each section out as a group, right wing, left wing, elevator then forward and aft port and starboard fuselage sections. I used clear frisket film to transfer each section together. This changed slightly later, as I had to improvise on the second fuselage side to keep from things turning out identical.

From what I can gather of the few picks of this aircraft, it seemed to have fairly standard tight edged larger camo spots on the upper surfaces and smaller more irregular or jagged spots on the sides.

It was very rewarding in a lot of ways. Like Christmas!

20201027_140220-XL.jpg

20201027_140222-XL.jpg

20201027_221908-X2.jpg

20201027_221932-X2.jpg

20201027_221950-X2.jpg

20201027_222033-XL.jpg

20201027_222039-XL.jpg

20201027_222054-XL.jpg

I have to admit, it was shockingly fun. The damn Silouette has now probably paid for itself about 3 times over now.

Tomorrow it's on to the IJA green/grey!

Cheers

On 10/27/2020 at 1:52 AM, Alex said:

I may have to try this MRP that you all rave about.  I just hate the thought of having to climb the learning curve with another paint system after having finally gotten halfway decent at using Gunze lacquers...

the only thing to learn is - with respect - that you will have been silly not to try it earlier :D

sprays from the bottle - no bs with trying to work out the best ration and all that nonsense

no waiting around for it to dry

dries extremely hard and is resilient to tamiya tape after a few minutes

pretty much any colour you can wish for (ironically Japanese colours are only just coming out)

will spray nicely at many pressures, but generally it will spray well at low pressure ie 10-15 psi

or put at it another way - if i can make it look half decent, it really MUST be easy :coolio:

now back to Brian's awesome build and the glory of masks!!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Thanks one and all. Like Nick pointed out, MRP sprays about as nice as any modeler could hope for. 

The Silouhette has been a nearly indispensable tool, and I can think that if one can afford it, it's a tool that every modeler should have in their arsenal.

With the GOBs and gobs of MoJo that is flowing through me, and with this week all the way through next Tuesday off from work, this one is on the fast track to completion guys.

I'll be starting to do final touch ups on all the spots, then it's on to the grey/green!