Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Thanks one and all!  I have to say again how stellar the fit has been on this kit. Its better than my HK Do-335, buy a long way, and the fit on that kit was outstanding, but this kit is way more complex, with a substantially better fit. I have to give ZM all the credit here, as things have generally fit about as well as anyone building a complex kit like this could hope for.

AAMOF, I did some dry fitting with the kit last night, and I pretty much had only the lower wing halves glued on, and it supported the complete main gear setup, as well as just hanging an engine off one wing to see how things looked, all with 0 glue. 

pretty-nice.jpg

Thanks!

Here is some fiddling I did last night after I snipped all the landing gear parts from their sprue trees in order to get ready for paint. The MLG are slotted to perfectly fit up inside the front section of the wheel well, using that bulkhead as re-enforcement to secure the gear. The subsequent folding braces for each MLG were then able to be just held in place by press fit alone.

I then hung one of the previously completed engines on just for fun to see what things will eventually look like:

20200915_223738-XL.jpg

The clever way ZM put this all together allows things to all be press-fit prior to actual glue assembly. Its all very lovely............

20200915_223807-XL.jpg

20200915_223814-XL.jpg

Back on the twin tonight.

Cheers all! 

Superb Brian! Superb. These kits are a breed apart: the instructions, engineering, fit, detail. I find myself smiling more than usual when I’m building one! I will be curious how your cowling panels fit together. This was a bit tricky for me as I recall.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks guys. Tom, yes, having looked things over down the road in the instructions, I was thinking the individual cowl panels may end up being a PITA. 

Well see, but I hope things can get assembled without too much hassle. 

I did manage to pre-shade and paint all the landing gear & well parts last night, so those should be dry by tonight so I can start to finish out the wing assembly. With the wing root fairings separate from the wing panels, I just need to make sure I have all my glue joints aligned extremely well.

Cheers!

Tonight was getting the gear finished up. I put a bit of a pre-shade on, followed by some MRP Khaki gray followed by some weathering including a small leak in one gear, and some oil and grease stains and an ovaerall wash of Tamiya brown. Nothing too fancy by ANY means, and not a ton of scratching in here, as I'm thoroughly enjoying doing this one generally OOB. The only thing Im really changing are the wheels/seat belts and gun barrels.  

20200918_230550-XL.jpg

20200918_230601-XL.jpg

20200918_230619-XL.jpg

20200918_230625-XL.jpg

20200918_231022-XL.jpg

20200918_231027-XL.jpg

20200918_231046-XL.jpg

ZM has made the upper and lower wing to fuselage fairing separate pieces, so the fit of everything before them needs to be exact. I went ahead and followed the instructions that indicate to attach the upper fairings to the upper wing parts prior to attaching the upper wing sections.

Trial dry-fitting of the upper wing sections indicates if I glue them properly, the fit will be just as spectacular as the lower wing halves:

20200918_230850-XL.jpg

The fairings themselves fit really well to the wing sections and make a nearly seamless joint with the tiniest bit of realistic overlap, just like the real fairing had:

20200918_230854-XL.jpg

20200918_230911-XL.jpg

More really nice engineering from ZM, well done old man!

Ive got the weekend planned for some modeling, so will be fitting up the upper wings and gear, then will move onto the empennage. 

Cheers!