Schleicher K8b - G-CFTN Mendip Gliding Club - 1/32 Balsa Scratchbuild

Westland48

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first RFI (please be gentle!).

There’s a bit of a story behind this one… I started learning to fly when I was 13 years old, first fying Grob Tutors with the Air Training Corps, before taking up gliding and, eventually moving on to powered flying – gaining my PPL in 2017. Unfortunately, I haven’t flown much since then (powered flying is WAY too expensive) so I’ve decided I’m going to try gliding again – I’ve never flown a glider solo!

I bought a 1/32 Revell Ls8, however, the all-white colour scheme and lack of interesting decals haven’t enthused me to build it – glass fibre/composite gliders also aren’t so interesting to model (though way better performance!).

This led me to turn my hand to scratch building a glider out of balsa. The glider in question, the Schleicher K8b, in the colours of my local gliding club – and quite possibly the aircraft I’ll end up soloing in once I get back to gliding.

I found plans online for a 2m wingspan K8b which someone had already turned into a .dxf file, I used CATIA to scale these plans to 1/32. I constructed the airframe by creating a spine from the side elevation then added ribs and stringers, before covering with balsa. The wing was created by making the upper and lower skins, gluing the wing ribs to the lower skin before attaching the upper.

The cockpit was a challenge, particularly the copy which I plunge molded some clear plastic packaging (from some new baubles) over a balsa mould. The pilot is a slot car figure from immense miniatures, with some major surgery to cram him into the cockpit – the internal fuselage structure visible in the cockpit sidewalls is made from 0.5mm pencil lead.

Painted with a mixture of halfords rattle can white and humbrol acrylic red, the decals were home printed and are a little thick, but overall, they look the part.

I’m really happy with how this has turned out given that I’ve never made a balsa model before and never made a model from scratch. There are a few inaccuracies, I’m aware of, such as the fuselage lacking a protruding “spine” over the centre of the wings, but I think it looks the part, let me know what you think!

Schleicher K8b, G-CFTN, Mendip Gliding Club

IMGP0333

IMGP0334

IMGP0337

IMGP0338

IMGP0340

IMGP0341

IMGP0343

Hopefully I'll get some pictures of it "flying" when it's less windy outside so I can suspend it.

Thanks for looking!

Very nice scratchbuild, West.  I, too, am interested in sailplane models and built the Revell ASK and LS-8, but I have found many more subjects in  1/48 scale.  

I also agree with you - the modern 'glass slippers' are not as interesting as the vintage and classic designs.

Thanks all :)

I'm wondering what to make next now... I think I'm going to stick with scratchbuilding balsa 1/32, and I'm considering making either a Pa28 (that I learnt to fly in), a Skylark 4 glider or a Rotax Falke motor glider - both from the local gliding club.

5 minutes ago, Westland48 said:

Thanks all :)

I'm wondering what to make next now... I think I'm going to stick with scratchbuilding balsa 1/32, and I'm considering making either a Pa28 (that I learnt to fly in), a Skylark 4 glider or a Rotax Falke motor glider - both from the local gliding club.

Whatever it is, please consider doing a WiP so that we can watch (and admire) your progress! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 5:12 PM, Daniel Iscold said:

Wow Westland 48 great job very very nice model!!!! !!! I love gliders. Do you have the pictures of building process? Do you mind to share the drawings to build one???? 

Thanks in advance

Thanks Daniel!

I got the plans here http://lesgpr.free.fr/construire/k8b/k8b.htm

There's a link halfway down the page for a .dxf plan for a 1.5m wingspan model. I scaled this plan to 1/32 using CATIA - I think there are some free CAD programmes that can do this too.

I didn't take any photos of this one, however, I have a current work in progress for a 1/32 Pa28 using the same construction methods.