IL-2M3 Sturmovik FINISHED

I will participate to this GB with the Hobbyboss IL-2M3. This has been in the stash for a while and I have a fair amount of aftermarket for it. I plan to build a version sporting the 37mm gun pods and pretty much nothing else in terms of loadout. I have the excellent Yefim Gordon Il2 book as reference.

Box shot and aftermarket

i-6gSQJH7-L.jpg

i-VDb58N9-L.jpg

resin wheels

i-2QSRZfR-L.jpg

Reference

i-mB5kDBX-L.jpg

I have started by filling all the rivets and panel lines on the tail. As per the Gordon book, the Hobbyboss kit is not necessarily wrong, some Il-2 had a metal tail, but I like the smooth look so I filled the rivets using MRP liquid putty. I will let it dry thoroughly and will then sand it down.

i-XBC7ptp-L.jpg

More progress soon hopefully.

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I did not do as much modeling as I was hoping for during the holidays but I did make some progress. I am almost ready to close the fuselage. So far it is a problem free build everything fits well and it's a well engineered kit. The engine will never see the light of day so I just painted it but did not bother with any weathering.

i-2g4T6s6-L.jpg

i-96tjdTC-L.jpg

i-B22kj9Q-L.jpg

i-wvLfZ9f-L.jpg

i-mQFgd5f-L.jpg

The IP is eduard photoetch and the seatbels are HGW.

Till next time, thanks for following this build.

Cheers,

David

• 2 months later...

I finished this build over the week-end. Apologies for not updating the WIP, but there was too many things going on in the real life so posting took a back seat. Not my best effort but this is a great kit and the AM available is really good. The weathering is minimal and it actually looks better in real life than in pictures and now sits nicely next to the little ICM i-16 Polikarpov in my display cabinet. All markings have been painted using montex mask (also for the transparencies), which worked really well but patience is needed not to screw up the russian stars.

I hope you like her.

i-Fwpnvs9-L.jpg

i-pGnRXJC-L.jpg

i-pzjgKxx-L.jpg

i-VrNNcjg-L.jpg

i-LtvtWWX-L.jpg

i-pLwFBkg-L.jpg

Cheers,

David