Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu: Completed

Uncarina

Thanks everyone! One more challenge: since my red paint mix is not an exact match for the decals after all, I have to paint the tail squadron markings. Making the masks for the fine white outline, which barely appear against the background, is proving the trickiest part. However, I hope to have it all painted this weekend.

Qj35ebS.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Thanks everyone! One more challenge: since my red paint mix is not an exact match for the decals after all, I have to paint the tail squadron markings. Making the masks for the fine white outline, which barely appear against the background, is proving the trickiest part. However, I hope to have it all painted this weekend.

Qj35ebS.jpg

Your new Silhouette cutter to the rescue!!      You should be able to import that pin into the Silhouette software and make a cut pattern for it.  For the white parts, if you have a "paint" type program it sometimes helps greatly to "fill" areas like the white. If you can fill by color, you can change the white to a darker color, and the Silhouette software will pick it up easier.  

Also, make sure you have the high pass filter off. I have found it sometimes really prevents you from getting the cut parts you need. You can use the low pass filter, but make sure you reduce the "scale" down to 1 to 4, and you can play with the "Threshold" slider to see what the software will pick up by how much you slide it in any direction.  If worse comes to worse, you can cut out the decals and place them on a dark background, then re-scan them into the computer and the Silhouette software should pick up the white better. 

If you need any info or help  LMK! 

9 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Your new Silhouette cutter to the rescue!!      You should be able to import that pin into the Silhouette software and make a cut pattern for it.  For the white parts, if you have a "paint" type program it sometimes helps greatly to "fill" areas like the white. If you can fill by color, you can change the white to a darker color, and the Silhouette software will pick it up easier.  

Also, make sure you have the high pass filter off. I have found it sometimes really prevents you from getting the cut parts you need. You can use the low pass filter, but make sure you reduce the "scale" down to 1 to 4, and you can play with the "Threshold" slider to see what the software will pick up by how much you slide it in any direction.  If worse comes to worse, you can cut out the decals and place them on a dark background, then re-scan them into the computer and the Silhouette software should pick up the white better. 

If you need any info or help  LMK! 

Brian,

Thank you! I will put this info to good use.

8 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

Holy smoke that is one great paintjob !!!

Thanks Thomas! It got easier once I got the hang of it.

Cheers,  Tom

Just a small update: I managed to generate masks, but the outlines have ragged edges not corresponding to the screen image. I might have damaged the craft cutter autoblade when I started a previous cut job while forgetting to use the plastic sheet that the mask aheres to! I ordered a new blade. To be continued!

Cheers,  Tom

I've got several extra blades Tom, just in case of such scenarios.

I'd set your blade to the highest/lightest setting when you get a replacement and try from there. I think I have my blade on 1 IIRC.

I would recommend not using the cutting mat if you can avoid it. My machine seems to run smoother with less stress on the blade when not using the provided cutting mat and just sending the 8x12 pieces of Oramask through by themselves.

10 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I've got several extra blades Tom, just in case of such scenarios.

I'd set your blade to the highest/lightest setting when you get a replacement and try from there. I think I have my blade on 1 IIRC.

I would recommend not using the cutting mat if you can avoid it. My machine seems to run smoother with less stress on the blade when not using the provided cutting mat and just sending the 8x12 pieces of Oramask through by themselves.

Brian,

Thanks, I will give that a shot. I’ve been using the Tamiya masking sheets so far, since I’ve had difficulty finding Oramask 810 in the size you mentioned. Where do you buy yours?

Cheers,  Tom