Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu: Completed

Uncarina

Wow Tom that looks fantastic!  The squiggles look just about the right size in scale too, nice job. I was thinking too, not that you are doing another, but if you need, now that you have the cutter, I can send you the .studio3 Silhouette Studio file and you can manipulate it as needed.

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow Tom that looks fantastic!  The squiggles look just about the right size in scale too, nice job. I was thinking too, not that you are doing another, but if you need, now that you have the cutter, I can send you the .studio3 Silhouette Studio file and you can manipulate it as needed.

Brian, thanks! I applied your masks today and they worked perfectly! I also painted the Hinomarus, but they will need touching up. I hope to post more pics of progress tomorrow. 

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

lovely work. yet again, Silhouette cutter is mentioned. Looks like I may have to invest in one of these. 

Thanks very much! I am just starting out using mine, having made the Hinomaru masks, but so far so good.

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Excellent airbrush work Tom, your Toryu is really coming together very nicely!

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy! I didn’t have much interest in the Ki-45 before, but ZM kits have a way of increasing my appreciation as I build.

Cheers,  Tom

I was going to use the kit decals for the tail markings, but those on the front of the tail overlap on each side, leaving an obvious join. I am going to attempt making masks for these by scanning the decal sheet and using the Silhouette. I’m a little daunted by the complex shapes to paint, but I made it this far!

Cheers,  Tom

I put some time this weekend into more painting, starting with Brian's masks, which worked flawlessly the first time. It was a little tricky: eight B-29 silhouettes with two options: apply each individually, or use a mask which had all eight lined up. I used the latter, and thanks to Brian's excellent spacial skills they fit perfectly. More tricky were the eight tiny checkmark masks, which had to be placed individually. I got lucky the first time!

Besides the straightforward Hinomarus, I masked and painted the forward tail markings. This was pretty challenging, since i used the wrong trace setting on the Silhouette cutter, so that the white stripes didn't get included in the mask. With perseverence and abundant tape, I'm pretty pleased so far! Not the best pics, but at least representative:

8edt63O.jpg

WwdXfU1.jpg

Cyeqhv1.jpg

K0MDLCc.jpg

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina