Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu: Completed

Uncarina

I've just started the Zoukei Mura Ki-45 second release--the short nose versions. I've loved almost every ZM build I've done (this is my fifth)--the instructions are the absolute best in the hobby (yes, better than WNW and Tamiya), with just two to maybe five parts added per step, and copious illustrations and photos from every relevant angle. That's why their kit instructions are books, packed with information, and the care and dedication that went into creating them is so evident. I do have a couple of wishes: color recommendations for more than just Vallejo and Mr Color, and more than two marking choices. In fact, I need to decide soon which version--the Ki-45 Kai Ko or the Ki-45 Hei--I will choose. Both are pretty appealing!

So far I've completed the first stage, the engine assemblies. This went very smoothly, with the exception of adding the carburetor post (E26+E27) to part E-4 (auxiliary equipment). The mounting point is just that: a point, so very fragile. In fact, I broke the posts for both engines and had to reattach them. I recommend holding off on attaching the carburetor and carburetor post until step 3-1G, when the assembly is attached to the back of the engine firewall mounting, part E-16 and J-8. This will allow a more solid contact. Anyway, two photos to start:

kdaZQrq.jpg

zzN4ViV.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Brian, Dennis, thanks for checking in and your comments! The kit pretty much falls together, so it is easy to get a good result with some paint and wash to bring out the detail. I am focusing on the cockpiy now: pretty easy and straightforward. For the instrument panel I will be punching out individual dials from the decal sheet. Hope to get more done this weekend.

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Looking great Tom! I have the long nose in the stash, and am looking forward to building it when the time is right.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis,

Thanks! You will do this  kit proud. I am a big fan of your Lancaster build.

Cheers, Tom

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Hi Tom,

Great choice and impressive start. I have the long nose kit started and internals build up and ready for paint. Will be following your progress with great interest.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy! I have really been enjoying your build. This one has been really fun to work on so far.

Cheers, Tom

Phase two of the build is centered around the cockpit: attaching a fuel tank, the main wing spar, linkage rod, and the front and rear cockpits. I've completed the build up to the front cockpit:

KxGI9wL.jpg

I followed the instructions except:

1) I attached the front seat I-16 to the front seat floor I-22 in step 3.2G instead of in 3.2K. This allowed me to precisely align the front seat to the four small attachment points from underneath. I then attached the assembly after installing the armor plate I-19. With the oxygen tank in place on the armor plate it was a tight fit attaching the assembly, but it worked:

v9lsYdm.jpg

ouJosjd.jpg

2) ZM gives several options for the instrument panel: decal sheet in front of R-9 (for the version I'm building), decal sheet applied to the back of transparent panel H-4, or painting the surface. I took another option: I cut out the individual instruments using a punch and die set, then attached them to the front of the opaque panel H-4 (for this kit ZM molded multiple sprues in both opaque and transparent plastic). The dial insets were too deep for my liking, so I just kept the dial decals on the backing paper and attached them to the panel using Quickshine acrylic floor polish. This also served to simulate the dial glass:

kAdNYxz.jpg

Note that the rudder hoops are the same khaki color as the pedals; they are on the Smithsonian aircraft as well. On another note, I identified Tamiya XF-14 IJN Grey as a very close match to the Vallejo Cement Grey called out for the camouflage--something I didn't find in any paint conversion guide.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Dennis, Brian,

Thanks, and yes, it’s nice to finally pick a scheme! Of course, now I have to build up a different instrument panel and control stick. Hopefully that goes faster the second time around!

Cheers,  Tom