1/32 Avis Fokker E.V, Stefan Stec, Polish Air Force, 1919

My 1/24 RCAF Mustang IV is very close to being finished (from a group build from three years ago!), so I thought I would join in here. I hope not to get too far from "out of the box" so I can finish this one on time...at least that's the plan. It'll be an aircraft from the Polish-Soviet War, 1919-1920, so a different "Eastern Front".

I'm building the Avis 1/32 Fokker E.V, which I found in my stash. The box is a little crushed, but the contents were all intact, nothing broken or missing.

Qkcl1ahh.jpg

It will be in these markings (the colour guide below is from a 1/72 scale kit, but represents the latest research on the markings of this aircraft). Pheon has a sheet which covers this aircraft, and I'll be ordering that.

YxG2kwJh.jpg

Aviattic has a sheet of lozenge decals fitted to this kit, as well as a replacement cowling, both of which I will order. I already have the Master 1/32 brass Spandau machine guns. Pheon has kindly posted a link to a beautiful build of the kit which looks like a huge help.

Photos to follow when there is something more to show. ;)

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Thanks Brian! I had that Battle Axe kit and got rid of it too...what a beast. I heard the MikroMir kit corrected the Avis wing, but I'm not clear on what the issue was. Don't know as much about First World War aircraft as I could. I'll probably just leave it alone, I just want a pleasant build.

Richard

7 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Does the kit provide for spoked wheels?

Sadly, no. I have seen reviews of aftermarket spoked wheels somewhere, just have to track them down. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

Great project Richard, regards spoked wheels, not sure if any of these would be suitable.

Hi Kag...not sure if you accidentally left out some links or photos?

Or could it be my computer network not seeing them.

I found some from a company called Scalespokes which are only available from UMM-USA, but all their products show as "out of stock". Not sure if the company is still in business. I also found a gentleman in Australia who does spoked wheels, but they are $100 a set which, although beautiful, are 3x what I paid for the kit.

RIchard

Haha, no I think Andy may have accidentally left the link out, as I do not see a link either.

I purchased my spoked wheels from UMM back in 2017 at the US NATs, and they are indeed very high quality:

20170729_165250-X2.jpg

Im not sure if it would be suitable, or any use to you what-so-ever, but I do have the WnW Jeannin Stahltaube in my stash that has wire wheels present in the PE fret. As I have the AM wire wheels I would not be using them at all. They are all yours if they would be any use to you:

04.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks Brian! That's very kind!

However I got a very quick reply from UMM-USA and they still offer the spoked wheels. They order as needed and can still supply them. I'll give them a try but if they can't come through I'll let you know.

I love this site!

Richard

Great scheme, Richard! I think the MikroMir simply changed the engineering of the upper wing, as the Avis kit had kind of a weird way of doing it where the lower wing piece is an insert into the upper part, making for a bit of a nasty seam. Can be dealt with, though. My review is here if you want to see my take on the Avis kit.

Doh!!! Yep I forgot to include the link, which was indeed for the Scalespokes wheels, I did have a google to see if the DR.I or E.III would be suitable, but came up short, very short! - it's been one of those days. Maybe if you post in the Aviation Discussion section someone might know, or a WWI aviation forum..?