Yak 3, the Special Hobby Hi-Tech Kit

1 hour ago, rigor said:

Wow 25 choices  geez need more kits 

That's what I thought, too :lol:.  It's possible that some of these markings could be applied to other Russian WW2 fighters.  I've seen pictures of other types with these personalised markings, so I'll be saving this set for sure.

Started painting tonight, so with luck I'll have something to show by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Michael

11 hours ago, rigor said:

Ok who makes the decals and where can I order them from :D

I got mine from Hannants in England.  They're published by Begemot, and you're after product number 32014.  Don't be put off by the picture Hannants have against this item.

Hope this helps,

Michael

It took longer than I hoped, but I've had my computer in for an upgrade and repair since last Monday, so no update in the meantime from me.  I've been using my laptop in the interim, which isn't very nice....  :BANGHEAD2:  Got it back late this afternoon, after lightening my wallet of $420 to find an email from them telling me it was all done.  On Sunday...    I don't use a mobile phone, and gave them my home number, so how do they think I'm supposed to know this???????????????????

But work has continued after making up my mind as to which colour scheme I was going to go with.  The chosen scheme has a red nose, so that was applied after a little rattle can aluminium over the metal bits.

CulF35.jpg

Camo was done next using masks of my own devising.  The rudder was left off at this stage, but taped into place when the darker grey went on.

WkkWOC.jpg

Underside now done, rudder attached, nose masking removed.  This plane also calls for a light blue fin and rudder tip, so that has been applied.  The nose is Tamiya X7, and the rest of the model is Testors Model Master enamel colours, all airbrushed.  A little scratching has been done, but this plane is largely wood, so I will confine my weathering attempts to a very light application.  I had lots of fun and games (not) with touch ups, the worst being when I inadvertently got a large red fingerprint all over the starboard wing, both colours affected of course. :oops:

WQEbEK.jpg

Next, the entire plane was glossed with enamel, and the main markings have been applied.

eCQZdx.jpg

twoSsP.jpg

I've been applying the decals for the stencils today, some of which were very fiddly.  The Begemot deals are very good, being nice and thin, but quite strong.  However, they don't seem tolerant of being moved too far, and this caused some gnashing of teeth with the stencils.  However, all were successfully applied in the end.

Now I have to matt coat the entire plane, and once that has cured, I can get on with finishing this.  The propeller is painted but in bits as is the undercarriage and some wheel well bay detail.  There will be a small delay as I have to get some matt enamel varnish, but once that is on and cured, I should be on my way to finishing.  The wheels I've painted in matt black, but no matter what I do, they come out semi gloss, so that will also need some attention before completion.

Cheers,

Michael

PS.  Yes, those are 1980's shoulder pads you see there, and their very good for resting incomplete but painted models on, as they don't stick.  Someone has finally found a use for them :lol::lol:

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Thanks, gentlemen.  Work continues, if a little slowly.  It's now been matt varnished, the masking has been removed, and the prop is finished.  Wheel well and undercarriage are next.  Photo's soon.

Cheers,

Michael