Trumpeter 1/24 Bf 109 G 10 completed

Thanks!

I think you should bring it back and build it, I would've preferred to do a G-6...(I think of that silly song whenever I hear G-6) as i do like the shape better.

I spent an enjoyable few hours (so far) on the model today adding some details I think (if not at all accurate) do look better...so far

Using up some of my carefully hoarded RB productions radiator mesh, I made frames and replaced the kits molded wing radiators with mesh

09QGMjK.jpg

the kit parts vs the RB mesh

75i1UPH.jpg

zD8JPbY.jpg

D4vVSPR.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks!

Agreed...too much driving for a plastic model, another time then.

I've tinkered my way through the build correcting what I can living with some and hiding others.

Being one of Trumpeters older kits it's got those wacky rod pin hinges on the controls, I thought of just gluing the joints then thought maybe I could improve them, here's a couple of attempts at that.

I first thought I could just shim the pe part but all that did was force it out of perpendicular to the hinge line.

BjITDMU.jpg

Then I came up with this idea, not saying it works but it's a definite improvement, the Trumpeter hinge pins measure out to .039" I dug through my brass rod selection and forced some .046" (1.2 mm) through the pivot point holes, makes it much stiffer.

ld6R40H.jpg

then, while fitting cowls, (procrastinating) I noticed the supercharger air inlet didn't look like the real one in my reference pics. so I tried my hand at improving that...it's not accurate but, looks better (I think) than the kit original part.

HbtWsAT.jpg

Io0WvLB.jpg

and then added some plastic sheet to box in the ejector shute openings and what look like vent tubes of some kind

CsVaQjX.jpg

Thank you for looking

Edited by chrish

Thanks for checking in on me!

This will be my last post until after Christmas (going to see my daughter and grand daughter..there's a guy in there somewhere too I guess) 

I spent a bit of time sticking things together today, not much to show for progress but it's better than nothing...right?

No pics of the procedure but, the kit comes with "working" oleos for the landing gear with a hollow gear leg, spring inside and lower oleo component but, it sits way to high on the springs. I tossed the pins in the bin, cut a length of rod, put that inside the gear leg and then the oleo part was glued in place simulating a heavier aircraft.

As well, I fitted the wing assembly to the fuselage, test fitting earlier on showed I'd have gaps at the wing root unless something was done. I tried forcing the fuselage halves apart but that completely ruined the geometry of the wing fit. I tried plastic strip to fill the slot (the top of the wing to root was the problem, the bottom was perfect) but that created a gap at the bottom of the wing. I took the easy way out and forced the wing tips up closing the gap but now it's got a unrealistic dihedral angle, oh well... 

vsBzZTx.jpg

I've also begun masking for paint. Hopefully when I get back from Christmas holiday

T7yjnO8.jpg

NY7mETH.jpg

As always, thank you for looking

Cheers for now

Merry Christmas as well!!!

Thanks for looking.

I'm back in the hobby room again and trying to remember where I left off...I figured I could begin masking for paint, then found I hadn't dealt with some seams. Fixed the joints that needed work and then found I'd gone on holiday leaving paint in the airbrush, major cleaning required to un-glue the dried paint. While cleaning the airbrush I splashed some "Mr tool cleaner" on the left wing of the model which ate into the plastic immediately requiring more repairs (I am my own enemy some days) I think I may finally be back on the rails and making headway again. I've begun cutting masks (not like some lucky folks with their own die cutters I'm struggling through the hard way with a ruler and knife..gives me an excuse for crooked work) I decided a model of this size needs painted on markings so I'm doing the best I can to get that.

masking in progress.

OsV1nhk.jpg

cutting "Frisket film" masks

WQTuyMJ.jpg

I8u5gZb.jpg

Again, thank you for looking in.

Thanks for looking in, I appreciate the encouragement!

I've almost finished the masking/ painting stage with the basic colors on.

Some pics of the masking and painting, I got lucky with the paint only lifting (a pin head flake) in one place.

W83WcaS.jpg

Xsns494.jpg

There's about 4 different shades of Alclad metal colors on the wings but it doesn't show in the pictures.

2a9YstM.jpg

v7wO2OB.jpg

UKBMLE5.jpg

WqibGcG.jpg

Krt8loZ.jpg

Thanks for looking