Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

8 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Max,

This really looks excellent!    The figgies are a great addition.

Thanks Gaz, I always try to include figures because I think they give a sense not only of scale but of purpose, bringing a bit of life to an otherwise inanimate object.....talking of which, somebody's ready to fly:

Jm4LDb.jpg

I've painted all the rigging silver this afternoon, just the aileron lines and the empennage wires to rig then I'm nearly done:

1FatYd.jpg

These two from the Gloster stable were surprisingly few years apart, really quite amazing:

7DIFMk.jpg

40 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Love this little figure.  Did you sculpt that yourself, or is it a commercially available product?

It's a super figure, you rarely see aircrew/pilots in overalls or a Sidcot suit, but no, I didn't sculpt it (I wish!).  I bought it some years ago, it was sold as Douglas Bader but that's irrelevant really.  The sad thing is it's no longer available, I tried to order a similar kit last night of Bader standing on the wing of a Hurricane only to be told that too is out of stock.  The originals were produced by RP Models https://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/collections/rp-models  but there's nothing in their current catalogue.  I recall that the figure was pretty expensive, but worth it!

I've just spent a ridiculously long amount of time doing the very simple task of rigging the aileron control wires!  Why so long I hear you cry?  Because this twit forgot to drill the location holes to the upper ailerons before fitting the top wing......once it's in place I couldn't get my drill into position!  So a certain amount of "disassembly" and not a few curses were necessary to sort it!  A little tidying up to do but much relief.  Drill the holes first mes amis!! 

aTM8yF.jpg

On 1/11/2020 at 6:14 PM, Landrotten Highlander said:

Love this little figure.  Did you sculpt that yourself, or is it a commercially available product?

I'm working on my "Bader" figure at the moment.  I contacted RP Models (a Portuguese company) to see if they had thoughts of producing any more but they replied that the two figures were a limited production, so it seems not!  Hugo, from RP Models has said that he will make enquiries to see if he can locate any, so watch this space.

vt2lhR.jpg

Had a bit of bench time today, I've been procrastinating about the wires on the empennage because I couldn't decide how to fit them.  Well today I tried some Gaspatch turnbuckles.  They worked in terms of holding and stretching the elastic, but they just look wrong, so they'll be coming off tomorrow......back to the drawing board!

lkpX5r.jpg