Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

Very glad to see you were able to sort out the problems with the serial number and checkered markings.

If you want to do a Gauntlet conversion, I think it is possible but a big undertaking! 

Here's an illustration from a very old book I purchased in a yard sale (the yard of the British embassy in Tunisia no less!) when I was 10  by called Flying Adventures by Flight Lieutenant.

HfGimIy.jpg

Alain

Great picture Alain! Agreed the conversion won’t be easy, but I have to have a go at it, though not immediately, too many demands on my time AND the Cold War Jets GB not too far away! 

14 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I LUV carte blanche  :wub:

I went to a superb restaurant in the Netherlands a few years ago Mike called Carte Blanche.....there was no menu but the chef came around to each table, asked about likes and dislikes then prepared your food based on that, up to 9 courses!  We had 5 I think. :D

OK, on with the build and preparation for the low-wing monoplane becoming a biplane!  Despite my fears of a spaghetti mess of rigging lines, I've glued in all the rigging for the upper wing, attempting to keep some sort of order and discipline with the aid of coils and tape:

VH7tFW.jpg

4zyoOo.jpg

Then onto the rigging between the interplane struts, close examination of the real thing shows the wires enter through the "boots" or "fairings" at the top and bottom of each strut:

GOm4ul.jpg

So I'm carefully drilling out each then planning to use thin metal rod or plastic cut to length, stretched sprue seems favourite at the moment but this could change!

Q8pQZm.jpg

h4yhC8.jpg

Edited by mozart

I thought it would be foolish to put the top wing on without at least the windshield section, so I masked up all three parts (inside and out), sprayed and fitted the rear two - don't you love MRP paints and their quick drying times!  The fit of the rear sections was perfect:

IoaGUB.jpg 

LdOhTu.jpg

Sgt Smith (Cy to his friends) is looking a bit happier, his moustache has finally come to fruition!

45 minutes ago, TorbenD said:

Loving this build Max! Top job.

Torben

Thanks Torben. It’s a really satisfying kit to make, everything about it is right but there’s always room for improvement or enhancements, great fun! 

Time to put the top wing on.  I wasn't sure about the best way to do this but the fit of the interplane struts into the top wing was very positive so I decided to glue all those in first of all.  I pondered about adding the cabane struts at this point too, but figured there'd be space to get my fingers in once the wing was in place so decided not to.  All worked perfectly and within no time at all I had a biplane!  Chance for a bit of fun to mock up the scenario:

jakozr.jpg

As anticipated with just a minimum of fettling the cabane struts went in easily:

1QWpSh.jpg

4SshCj.jpg

And lo and behold, a solidly fixed Gladiator!  The dread with biplanes is wing-twist where the upper wing is out of alignment with the lower, but thanks to ICM's thoughtful design there's little danger of that happening with this kit: 

e9jHOo.jpg

Rigging up next, this will simply reinforce the strength of the structure.

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Very nice Max, upper wing looks to have slotted in  with ease, I recieved one of these fir Christmas and will be using your build as reference!

Regards. Andy 

Pastor John’s bringing out some interesting schemes Andy, and as you’ve seen from my thread and Quang’s the kit builds up very easily and most satisfactorily. I think I may be doing one more at some point too. 

49 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, what a beaut! Really nice work Max

It’s those inter-war schemes Brian.......eye candy! Should look good alongside the Silver Wings Bulldog! 

42 minutes ago, quang said:

A biplane... at last! :clap2: 
Nice crew you got there, Max. Thinking of hiring some staff myself ;)

Indeed, no longer on a wing and a prayer! The rigging is going very smoothly apart from one moment when I discovered a knot in the line, fortunately before I’d fully tensioned it so I was able to tease it out. :blink: