Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

6 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Great work so far!

I'm interested in getting the kit as the Gladiator served in my country's air force, too.

Looking forward to more updates!

I can see lots of these kits being built just for that reason, serving in so many countries. The kit is highly recommended based on my experience so far, and there’s not much left in the box now! ICM are on to a winner. 

4 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Some serious progress in a week Max, looks like a great kit. Your cockpit is excellent and liking your pilot which adds some more interest. What type of line are you planning on using for your rigging?

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy. I’m using Prym knitting elastic, it’s flat in profile, easily coloured, no splits or hairiness like EZline can be at times and doesn’t tie itself in knots like Uschi van Rosten’s ultra thin stuff!

49 minutes ago, DrDave said:

It’s not a turnbuckle as such, but a metal fastener that threads on to the RAF wire. Some can be seen, some cannot.

You’re right Dave, not a lot shows so a crimped micro tube should serve I reckon. 

Edited by mozart

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Nice work Max, I like your thinking on the rigging it makes a lot of sense to me, being a serial rigging dodger.

Cheers

Dennis

7 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

That's an interesting solution to the rigging issue - always vexing in my opinion.  I'll be watching to see how that turns out.

Cheers,

Michael

I think the rigging “method” depends on what type of turnbuckle (or not) you’re using. I’m no expert by any means, but if you have the eyelet type of turnbuckle the ends if the line can be threaded through both and tensioned. Any other type, or none, it seems to me the line has to be tensioned “beyond” the rigging zone then trimmed off afterwards. Just my take on it, others may do differently. I try to keep it as simple and uncomplicated as possible. 

If I remember rightly Max I think ericg on this forum used the turnbuckles you have to great effect on a,WnW Sopwith Tripe build, may be worth having a look at......assuming the hosting site he was using back then hasn't messed his pictures up!!

Regards. Andy 

43 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Fantastic progress and detail work, everything you do looks just right!!!

Lothar

Thank you my friend, I do try to work carefully and methodically with as much research needed as possible, but I can assure you it doesn't always go to plan!! :blush:

Talking of research, this arrived in the post this morning:

UbNY6Z.jpg

Not a great deal of detail in there to actually help with the build of the kit but I do like to read about the pilots' experiences and historical background of the plane's development.  Lovely Belgian example Quang!

gG0d3g.jpg

8 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Good progress Max, and that photo showing the rigging holes will come in handy when I get to this build!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom, I'd hoped it might be of use to future builders.  Again, understanding that the cover plates give access to the turnbuckle tensioning mechanism helped me to get the right placement for the holes (I hope!) -_-