Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

Now here's a curious thing, this rather awkwardly shaped panel that has to be "dropped" neatly into the hole.....don't you just know it's going to cause a little trouble?

rSbogH.jpg

It can only mean that ICM have a Sea Gladiator on the books:

8JT2GN.jpg

So after much micro-adjustment with knife and sanding stick, it's not perfect:

ThOlD7.jpg

but I dare say all will turn out well in the end.

Having secured the lower wing, I'm starting to think about rigging.  There are several different methods and materials that can be used but in the spirit of authenticity I'm using the Gaspatch late RAF turnbuckles (mentioned in an earlier thread).  There's some good advice and instructions on the Silver Wings website about making templates to get the correct angle of the turnbuckles to the wings http://www.silverwings.pl/making-templates-ii.html  I have a very good book which contains a splendid drawing of a Gladiator which will help enormously in doing this:

DF6nFN.jpg

but I could never do it this way:

62hx3X.png

I'd tie myself in knots!!  :wacko:

The latest:

2EQXhJ.jpg

PS: the turnbuckles aren't really viable - I've done a trial on an old kit but the surface area on the turnbuckle isn't much bigger than a pin head and not enough to secure some rigging line onto at the first attachment point let alone when stretched onto the second point, so Plan B comes into operation, much simpler!

Edited by mozart

2 hours ago, quang said:

I remember when we used to cut stencils manually with a frisket knife. Silhouette cutters sure broaden one modeller’s own horizon but I guess I ‘m too old to get burdened with another apparatus while trying desperately to lighten my karma. :BANGHEAD2:

Quang my friend, you’re a few months younger than me, 1948 was a good year! If I can do it, so can you. On the other hand, if you want some stencils cut just let me know. ;)

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

Great progress so far Max - I'm trying to stay tuned!

I know Joachim, sorry! I feel a bit guilty about so many updates! :huh:

12 minutes ago, mozart said:

Quang my friend, you’re a few months younger than me, 1948 was a good year! If I can do it, so can you. On the other hand, if you want some stencils cut just let me know. ;)

Careful my friend! Your words have not fallen on deaf ears :ph34r:

I mentioned that the plan to use the Gaspatch "authentic period" turnbuckles failed at the first hurdle, the point of glue contact being too small to adequately hold the rigging thread - here's a picture of the test turnbuckle on my hack Hurricane:

kUfQEI.jpg

So Plan B is to use micro-tube with Prym knitting elastic.  I've cut some card guides to get hopefully the correct angle for the rigging and I'm drilling holes right through the lower wing.  I'll pass the thread through using a fine needle then tensioning once the top wing rigging points are firm:

s2G0Hg.jpg

I gave the Gladiator a fine primer covering yesterday and hope to get some silver down later once all the rigging holes are drilled.

Great to see you working Max! I've eyed one of these as well, gorgeous looking plane. It would take of my "Dutch" path, but to be honest, life is too short. A Belgian one would not look too foreign between my Dutchies :D

I also bought the turnbuckles but haven't used them yet. Awaiting release of the new 1/32 Tiger Moth. So not too great these turnbuckles? (I bought the metal ones)

6 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

Great to see you working Max! I've eyed one of these as well, gorgeous looking plane. It would take of my "Dutch" path, but to be honest, life is too short. A Belgian one would not look too foreign between my Dutchies :D

I also bought the turnbuckles but haven't used them yet. Awaiting release of the new 1/32 Tiger Moth. So not too great these turnbuckles? (I bought the metal ones)

The turnbuckles are a disappointment to be honest.  Mine are metal too, I bought them some time ago for a Revell Tiger Moth but never rigged it because they didn't work then, I thought I'd have another go but to use your phrase, life is too short!  You'd love the Gladiator, it's a very uncomplicated kit......or I guess it's as complicated as you want to make it.  A Belgian "visitor" would be very fitting  :rolleyes: amongst your Dutch fleet!