Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

5 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

Great progress!

Maybe just sanding the tabs on the elevators on top, to slope them down a bit would be enough, wouldn't it?
:hmmm:

Juraj

There's a thought Juraj, rather than cut them off completely I could cut half way through, bend slightly and reinforce with glue! :D

4 hours ago, sandbagger said:

The BL lever is noted as Blade Pitch ?

The Mk.1 and Mk.2 Gladiators had fixed pitch propellers (Mk.1 had two blade wood, Mk.2 had a 'Fairey' three blade metal).

As this appears to be a Mk.2 cockpit, I wonder if the BL lever is in fact the 'Boost Lever' for the semi-automatic boost control carburettor, which was fitted in the Mk.2 Gladiator with the more powerful Mercury VIIIAS engine,

Mike

Yes you're right of course about the fixed pitch props, especially the wooden ones!  My understanding of this specific IP is that it's a Mk1, did they have a "boost" potential, if so I agree "BL" could be boost lever.

1 hour ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Great progress Max!

I had the impression, looking at the spues, that ICM had managed to make a easy to assemble kit, especially for a biplane.

I'm glad, from your comment, that this is the case. The Gladiator is an interesting plane and watching your build is very enjoyable!

Alain

I get the impression Alain that it's a very well thought out kit, not a WnWs in detail and complexity by any means but I imagine that ICM had a much wider audience in mind when designing it.  So far I can't fault it for an OOB build.  I'm sure before too long that the AM guys will be all over it, and Yahu with detail IPs no doubt! :huh: 

I think the colour schemes in the kit are not entirely correct. There’s a picture of K6140 at Church Fenton in 1937, with the red and blue 72 sq fuselage stripes. Ground crew says they were on the wings too. Airfix had it right on their 1/72 box art I think.

Actually I think with and without stripes is doable. Now I have looked again.

shouldn’t the camo schemes be the 4 shade uppers in light/dark earth/green too?

Edited by DrDave

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=O8et2pCC-GAC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=gladiator+k6140&source=bl&ots=cogTBAZ0We&sig=ACfU3U0al-fZFQ28LJS14eU56LdBUmgZvA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4i4D2mLPmAhURYcAKHeT5CMIQ6AEwAHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=gladiator k6140&f=false
With or without is possible in these pictures, plus you could do the red/ blue roundels on a silver one at the time of Munich.

easy to paint the stripes though...

Edited by DrDave

Thanks for those posts Dave, very interesting indeed and some brilliant 72 squadron Gladiator photographs.  You're quite right about the stripes on the wings at some point in their history, though I don't doubt other pictures could be unearthed without them.  I've wondered the same about the 56 squadron checkers on the upper wing, sadly this squadron isn't as well documented it seems as 72 squadron!  

These years in the late 1930s and approaching war with Hitler's Germany saw so many changes in so many schemes; I've just finished reading Paul Richey and Billy Drake's autobiographies, both with No. 1 Squadron in France in the spring of 1940, and their Hurricanes had so many variations in colours; serial numbers (or none), squadron codes (or none), roundels (or none), fin markings etc etc!!  I'm painting my Gladiator as I want it to be, who knows if it's correct and do I care?

Half cutting through the tabs and bending meant an easy assembly of elevators to tail planes:

2kqv3L.jpg

I've started to look at the engine, nicely detailed and crisp without being too complicated - it should nonetheless make up into a busy enough looking engine, and you have the option of being fully encased in the fairings or partially open:

4LNwup.jpg

The parts arrowed fit onto each cylinder head but from the instructions appear to be used only on "variant" (read scheme) 2. ie Gloster Gladiator I 607 squadron August 1939.  Why this should be so in beyond me, but if you go for the fully closed up look, they won't be seen anyway.

Detail:

ZO6RcW.jpg

The collector ring is lovely, going to be quite a challenge to get the right worn effect:

aPTBoK.jpg

P0UUQ1.jpg

xWoy6W.jpg

I think I'll paint this separately and fit later.

Finally the exhaust pipes, I'm liking the fact that the tiny "holes" are well represented BUT it is solid and needs careful drilling out, mine's nearly there!

vgxlD1.jpg

Yummy, that burnt iron effect on the collector ring :rolleyes: Call me a pervert!

I like the design philosophy on this kit. Enough detail to keep it simple and enough scope for super-detailing without having to turn to aftermarket stuff.

Good WIP, Max. Great photos!

Cheers,

Quang

Sgt Smith got into a bit of trouble with the CO for this gesture!  Smith insisted afterwards he was saying he would be two minutes late because of starting troubles, Blandishly-Ppypeman wasn't so sure!

zVA1NL.jpg

(Still work in progress by the way!)

Edited by mozart

On 12/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, mozart said:

There's a thought Juraj, rather than cut them off completely I could cut half way through, bend slightly and reinforce with glue! :D

Yes you're right of course about the fixed pitch props, especially the wooden ones!  My understanding of this specific IP is that it's a Mk1, did they have a "boost" potential, if so I agree "BL" could be boost lever.

The Gloster Gladiator flown by the 'ShuttleWorth' collection is apparently a Mk.1 and has both levers, so I assume that this 'boost lever' was in both the Mk.1 and the Mk.II,

Mike

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/locate_and_cement/gloster-gladiator-walkaround-t5689.html#post10001112

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1999/05/stuff_eng_detail_gladiator.htm

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76578-gloster-gladiator/