Gloster Gladiator.....finished :)

mozart

Actually Brian, I spelt his name wrong and he gave me a right rocket, it's actually Blandishly-Ppypeman, related to the famous Ppypeman family from Wiltshire of course.  How silly of me!! :coolio::unsure:

Here's the clearest image I can find of a Mk1 IP, this from a wargaming website so it's computer generated but compares very well with the Finnish Gladiator IP: 

HN7hF9.jpg

Just need to work out now exactly which gauge is which.....and no articial horizon it seems!

Dial on the left of the 'vertical thing' is Airspeed

'vertical thing' elevator trim'

Dial above the compass bearing is VSI (Vertical Speed Indicator)

Dial on left of Engine boost is Cylinder Head temperature / Engine temperature

Knob on the right of the hand is Carburettor heater

red knob on the right of the carburettor heater will be the cut-off switch

Levers on left of cockpit@ BL is blade pitch control, while G is (I assume) throttle

that is all I can make out on this picture

Edited by Landrotten Highlander
correction of faulty term

23 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Dial on the left of the 'vertical thing' is Airspeed

'vertical thing' elevator trim'

Dial above the compass bearing is VSI (Vertical Speed Indicator)

Dial on left of Engine boost is Cylinder Head temperature / Engine temperature

Knob on the right of the hand is Carburettor heater

red knob on the right of the carburettor heater will be the cut-off switch

Levers on left of cockpit@ BL is blade pitch control, while G is (I assume) throttle

that is all I can make out on this picture

Thank you very much, absolutely brilliant! I'll add all of those to my picture then try to match something approximating to each dial from my various scraps of Airscale sheets for the supplied ones are not terribly impressive!

Thanks Kev.  I've been working on the upper wing, rudder and tail planes this evening - general cleaning up and sticking together.  As I've mentioned previously all of these "horizontal" surfaces mouldings are commendably thin and fit together supremely well, no flash, no cleaning up, no ejector pin marks etc.  Superb!

Thanks Joachim, as you can probably tell I’m really enjoying this kit, which in essence is a pretty simple and straightforward build. I’ve got a busy “social” day today so not a lot of modelling time sadly but I’ll put up some pictures of the wings etc in an attempt to show how good they look. 

Wings 'n Things!  My not-too-successful attempt to show how thin the trailing edge is!  My favourite liquid glue is Slater's Mek Pak applied with a brush, so the upper wing I did in three stages: middle section glued first and then, due to the wing's thinness and flexibility I was then easily able to open out the port and starboard sections to slide the brush in.  Easy peasy!!

8zsEn7.jpg

The large tab on the elevator gives a very positive location (they are handed) but then of course preclude you from having them slightly dropped, so I'm going to cut the tabs off so that I can achieve this.

0u3JFV.jpg

5gNVQm.jpg

Edited by mozart

18 hours ago, mozart said:

With thanks to LRH:

TQ0Qeo.jpg

The BL lever is noted as Blade Pitch ?

The Mk.1 and Mk.2 Gladiators had fixed pitch propellers (Mk.1 had two blade wood, Mk.2 had a 'Fairey' three blade metal).

As this appears to be a Mk.2 cockpit, I wonder if the BL lever is in fact the 'Boost Lever' for the semi-automatic boost control carburettor, which was fitted in the Mk.2 Gladiator with the more powerful Mercury VIIIAS engine,

Mike

Edited by sandbagger