Hasegawa Bf 109F Completed 20/02/20

Hi Campaigners!

I'll be building Hasegawa's 1/32 scale Bf109F4 Trop:

1845_rd.jpg

Although the box says "F-4 Trop", there are most of the essential  parts in the box to make an F-2 or F-4 Trop... or no trop.  So, this broadens my chances of finding a likeable and hopefully semi unique scheme.  Speaking of the box...  This will be an out of box build.

Looking forward to building with you!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Ok, everyone.  I've decided on my pilot and scheme:

2113981734_5dda2425d0_z.jpg

Erwin Leykauf survived the war with 33 kills.  During much of the war he seems to have served as a gruppen adjutant which most likely would have limited his flying time as every kind of detail related to the Gruppe would have required his attention.  It is also written that he took part in ground attack operations.  I first saw this picture back in 1985 in the book German Fighters over Russia and knew back then I would model it someday.  What I didn't know it that there would be another 31 years before I built another model.

His F4 bears the crest of the city of Ansbach on the cowling.  The III/JG 54 shield ahead and below the canopy, and the Green Heart directly below.  I'm not certain about the starboard side. 

The colors are up for speculation.  Some speculate RLM 70/71, some speculate the involvement of captured Russian paints.  For the moment, I'm shooting for RLM 70 with Russian Green.  I have absolutely no knowledge of the green (or any other paints) used on Russian aircraft, so further research will occur as I get closer to adding the top colors. 

The canopy framing seems to be a different color completely.  And there seems to be a lack of exhaust staining which could mean that the photo was taken shortly after the aircraft got it's paint job, or that ground crew will have wiped it off.  And happily, it seems that most of the stencils were covered with paint limiting the need for decals.

Speaking of decals, I plan to make masks when needed and I'll use decals if I like them well enough.

Cheers!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

For further help, I have this book for details.

517NCyOfP0L._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgI

In addition to color profiles and technical data, it has color plates for the cockpit which hopefully will enable me to produce a more interesting model.  Until a few minutes ago, I'd forgotten that this lingered in my library.

Gaz

On 12/11/2019 at 5:07 PM, Scale32 said:

Well..... get crack'n  then lol.

Cheers Bevan 

On 12/11/2019 at 5:47 PM, MikeMaben said:

Yea  :popcorn:

Hey everyone, my first update...  on demand, no less.  I've used oils to add a little color variation and they are still wet.

W8XDfa.jpg

Port side with the oxygen system and fuel lines.  Oil washes over acrylics.  Two more decals for the dials woulda been handy.

SbGssJ.jpg

According to the book i used, the footpads and seat were left in natural metal.  I also used various shades to convey RLM 66.

TAcFFI.jpg

Hase supplies decals for the instrument panel.  I may put something clear over the dials...  though I'm not sure yet.

LEspKZ.jpg

interestingly there is a three color system on the throttle quadrant.  Again, from the Kagero book.

S4exSm.jpg

I have a pilot that came with the kit, and I need practice with figures.  So, I may put him in the plane with the canopy open and slats deployed as if he's just shut the engine off.

Time will tell...  thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind replies, everyone!

With the fuselage closed up I had some details to attend.

Wvo83d.jpg

Both upper wings had long sinkmarks over some interior structure.  The lower wings are meant to be universal, I think, and have lots of detail to fill.

dxZatG.jpg

dokLeM.jpg

I'm going to leave the canopy open this time.  The kit has some nice detail parts on the inside of the canopy.  The seam on the supercharger intake needed to be made to disappear.

NAugX1.jpg

xeQ6Ps.jpg

I used Tamiya clears over Alcald polished aluminum to begin the burning of the exhaust stubs.  A couple of earthy washes should complete the task.  I also thinned the edges of the heat shrouds.  Seemed simpler than trying to make some from metal.

Thank you for looking!

Gaz