Hasegawa Bf 109F Completed 20/02/20

Hi everyone,

Thank you for checking in often and your kind words. 

I tried something different this time, I added the tail planes and the radiator flaps after painting.  I'm not sure that I'm completely happy with the result as it means there'll be even more touch up painting, and even some touch up sanding! 

I also got most of the decals on, bringing the plane to life a little more.  I'm going to leave the rest off as this plane doesn't seem to have much original color in photos, and I doubt that every stencil got redone.  I had a look at other JG 54 machines, and it seems that some of the original stencils remained, those that mainly dealt with fuel, fluids, and oxygen.  I haven't clear coated, yet so I can add more if some more detail pictures usefully land in my lap.

I took the photos in pretty low light, and I don't know how to play with ISO or any other of that photographic gobbledygook.  I mainly wanted to check the stance.

SzyJxF.jpg

E4WUEu.jpg

xJnU7Y.jpg

CIRAxn.jpg

BTW...  how do you like my scratched copies of field modified flame dampeners?

Cheers!

Gaz

It is really looking good, Gaz, although I can't give you an opinion on the field mod dampeners as they are kind of hard to see in the overall photos. You will have to give us a closeup as I am curious about them. I agree with Brian about the whitewalls - they make for a nice touch!

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

It is really looking good, Gaz, although I can't give you an opinion on the field mod dampeners as they are kind of hard to see in the overall photos. You will have to give us a closeup as I am curious about them. I agree with Brian about the whitewalls - they make for a nice touch!

Thank you, Ray.  In the original photograph, there isn't much to see.  Looks like a piece of bent metal painted black.  I've tried to think of ways that it might have been more detailed with no success as there seems to be no place for secondary attachment points.

I Thank you, fellas!  The colours do make me think of Soviet camouflage.  For the lighter colour I was looking to hit between light green, light brown, and a gray comprised of both colours.  Who can say what will happen once I apply a matte coat.

• 3 weeks later...

Still plodding along.  The only weathering to do up top is some exhaust staining.  On the bottom, there is a lot of oil streaking to go.  I'm tryiing a new approach with the oil streaking.  I find that the longer I try to make the streaks, the less able I am to get a good finish.  So, I'm going to do it in segments and then jon them with pigments.

Anyway...  photos.

l2m8G1.jpg

BTFR89.jpg

KjQcHt.jpg

BTFR89.jpg

There is a lot of light spattering on the underside that is washed out by the light.

Cheers!