Hasegawa Bf 109F Completed 20/02/20

14 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Yep, that's what I was trying to illustrate with the lightening.

Also , early F-4s retained the F-2 shallow chin radiator.

I've only got one chin radiator in the kit, and it's already attached.  So I'm just going to live with it.  Maybe nobody else will notice.   My only other option is to find another scheme or to try to reduce the depth of the radiator by sanding, though without proper dimensions would just lead to an exercise in ambiguity.

Edited by Gazzas

Anyway...

With few things written in stone, here she is on her feet with LG and heat shrouds in place.  I've been looking for other potential schemes, but not been gripped by anything as much as the Leykauf photos.

zKdpPD.jpg

S0EA8i.jpg

I'm not overly thrilled with the spinner shape.  I think it's a little too conical.   Whereas, the Trumpy one I have (for parts) is too bulbous.  Hopefully my Revell G6 has a properly shaped spinner.

On 12/30/2019 at 2:41 PM, Gazzas said:

I had originally believed that the modification was made to keep exhaust gases from the turbocharger in line with the upgrades of the F4.

It was added for that purpose but didn't have anything to do with a model upgrade.

They apparently found that there 'was' exhaust entering the intake, apparently something

they hadn't discovered before. That's why it was a feature of all subsequent models.

The Revell and Hasegawa spinners look quite similar.

For reference :

RyPWZGj.jpg

Notice there are different cannon openings one longer than the other.

For that reason the radius shape would be sooo slightly different on each.

(almost imperceptible).

hth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Some small progress here.

Q5vOkn.jpg

After getting the wings on and tidying up a few seams, I applied MRP fine gray primer.  I gave it a day to harden, then I used buffing compound to make sure it was smooth everywhere.  Afterwards added Tamiya white where the masks will go.

You may notice that a mask is missing for the II Gruppe badge.  Here is what the mask looks like for it:

RmKdRO.jpg

You can see that all three attempts suffered some damage due to the smallness of the design and the limitations of the cutter.  I've since been told by Mal that I need to make each color in separate parts.  I can see the wisdom of what he says.  However, before he gave me that advice, I found a decal set. that had the II Gruppe badge so, I ordered it.  Hopefully it'll be here, soon.

Today I masked off the areas painted with the theater yellow.  Then, I painted the lower areas in a mixture to create a shade of RLM 76.  I would have taken some pics, but the contrast between the RLM 76 and the gray primer is very small.  I'll let that paint cure overnight before I fix any imperfections.

Cheers!

Gaz

HI Everyone, 

Time to reveal my interpretation of the scheme.  I've mixed my colors from tube paints, and there are three layers of each color.  Each layer of color was tinted differently and then all of it was covered with a thin layer of Future.  After a few days of hardening, I'll begin to paint the Ansbach shield on the cowl and the JG54 heart under the cockpit.  Then I'll pull all of the masks and see what needs touching up.  Finally, I'll smooth the paint as much as possible which should reveal the multiple shades of paint.

Wdwb2m.jpg

xos977.jpg

yrakdZ.jpg

Cheers!

Gaz