Hasegawa Bf 109F Completed 20/02/20

14 hours ago, Shiba said:

Hi,  Gazzas  Great start!  I'm looking forward to see all the way:clap2:

Inked-Bf-109-With-DEEP-EXHAUST-COVER-2-L

I have a question I can see this F-4 has deeper exhaust cover so hasegawa kit have the part for it ?

Regards.  Matsu

Thank you for pointing that out.  It's a feature I hadn't even noticed before.  Looks like some scratch building will be required.  I think the one in the kit is the same one used on the G series.

re the exhaust cover thingy, I am unclear what the issue is (and am keen to understand)

would appreciate if anyone has plans / diagrams / picture comparisons to hand that show the difference, but if not no drama

I’m guessing that this is a field modification.  Looking at my 109 F tome, it seems to me that somewhere in the F4 production run they began putting a turned-down fairing over the port side exhaust as early F4 photos and drawings show the straight fairing whilst later photos and drawings show the turned-down style.  

The darker color also also suggests this to me.  Again, this is all my intuition, I haven’t seen any documentation or Fuhrerbefehl to that effect.

Thank you all for your input and photos.

5 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I’m guessing that this is a field modification.   somewhere in the F4 production run they began putting a turned-down fairing over the port side exhaust as early F4 photos and drawings show the straight fairing whilst later photos and drawings show the turned-down style.           The darker color also also suggests this to me.

Yep, that's what I was trying to illustrate with the lightening.

Also , early F-4s retained the F-2 shallow chin radiator.

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Yep, that's what I was trying to illustrate with the lightening.

Also , early F-4s retained the F-2 shallow chin radiator.

is that not a function of engine variation / upgrade. just as the slightly wider chord props? 

I am guessing / suggesting, because despite having lots of 109 reference books, so many of them are just same old same old pics, with no real technical authority or catalogue of these types of changes

anyway, back to the build which I am very much enjoying!!

Gaz, gent’s,

i recall reading in some publication that Erwin’s Bf 109 pictured is a field modification over the exhaust stacks and this particular a/c was used for night operations.  I’ll try and find some more information for you if requested?  

Keep up the great efforts here Gaz.  

Troy 

10 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Gaz, gent’s,

i recall reading in some publication that Erwin’s Bf 109 pictured is a field modification over the exhaust stacks and this particular a/c was used for night operations.  I’ll try and find some more information for you if requested?  

Keep up the great efforts here Gaz.  

Troy 

Hi Troy,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  A quote from Luftwaffe.cz: 

" When the Russians started resupplying their troops during the night in the early summer of 1942, using transport aircraft of various types, JG 54 were active in intercepting these flights. On the night of 22-23 June 1942, Leykauf claimed 6 victories in 50 minutes bringing his score to 23."

I've already modified the port side exhaust and will now do the starboard side.  I had originally believed that the modification was made to keep exhaust gases from the turbocharger in line with the upgrades of the F4.

Gaz