WNW Fokker DVII (Early)

Greif8

3 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

I have mixed feelings about it.  I think it will turn out well, but the kit has fit and alignment issues as I've mentioned.  It's one I've wanted to build so I'm pressing on with it, is how I feel right now.  I'll let you all know my final thoughts when I've finished it.

Cheers,

Michael

I hear you on some of the fit issues.  I have the "hi-tech" kit mostly built setting on the SoD due to some landing gear fit issues that I have to work out.  It was one of those kits that, for me, had/has to be "built into submission" and I got just a bit burned out on it.  Having said that though, it does build into a pretty nice model.  I'll return to it once I've recovered some mojo for that build.

Ernest

I have finished the engine.  The below shots show it in "like new" condition as I still have to put a couple of decals on and weather it.  The engine looks very similar to the destroyed build's engine.  The only things I did differently was wiring the distributers at a different (hopefully correct) location and I will not add the red stripe decals.  I have looked at a lot of builds and not very many have the red stripe decals do I decided to leave them off this time around.  I have also made a fair amount of progress on the fuselage, but nothing photo worthy yet.

Ernest

IMG_1346

IMG_1344

IMG_1345

Hi guys I started painting the fuselage.  I made a couple of changes during construction from the first build.  I attached the two triangular parts before painting and that helped a great deal with filling and sanding the seam.  The other change was sanding the outer sides of the framing around the cockpit to reduce the width slightly.  On the first build there was some bulging that made getting a good fit of the upper cowling part difficult.  Sanding helped a lot and the port side turned out nearly perfectly; the starboard side was not quite as good but it was much better than before.

I used three types of paint for the fuselage.  I primed with Mission Models primer and I have to say it sprayed well and gives a tough smooth surface.  The red is Tamiya paint thinned with lacquer and it sprayed beautifully as always.  The blue is Lifecolor paint which can be tempermental to airbrush but gives good results if you can hit the spraying sweet spot.  I tried to vary the shading a bit to avoid a monocolor effect.  I have also started a bit of speculative chipping of the upper cowling.  Still a ways to go but the build is coming along.

IMG_1350

Port side showing (poorly) the different shading.

IMG_1348

Port side showing the shade variations a bit better.

IMG_1351

Top view

Today's update shows the mostly weathered engine, I still have to add some clear yellow and a gloss coat to the top of the engine to finish simulating castor oil.  I did not go wild weathering the engine as most of it will not be seen once the cowlings are all in place.  The last photos show the "Winged Snake" fuselage decal, that my 5 year old daughter picked out, in place.  I still have to spray a gloss coat over it, but thought I would show a couple of photos of it as the decal looks currently.  I also put the lozenge decals on the bottom of the tail plane, but did not take any photos of that as I still have to trim them.  

I am still trying to determine if I should add rib tape to the wings.  The instructions don't mention it for the kit decals and they also don't have any rib tape that I can see.  I have also looked at several very nice builds and not all of them appear to have rib tape added.  Not being an expert on WWI aircraft I am not sure "what right looks like" and will have to do some more research before I begin decaling the wings.  The build will have a business trip enforced pause until at least Friday night (depending on when I return home) so I have some time to look at information online the next couple of nights.

IMG_1353

Engine showing initial "castor oil" staining on the top.

IMG_1355

Rather boring frontal view of the engine.

IMG_1358

Detail shot of the muffler.  I used different shades of powders to add some tonal variation, which unfortunately does not show up well under direct lighting.  I still

need to add exhaust staining to the end of the muffler.

IMG_1363

Port side showing the "Winged Snake".  You can also see the different tones of red of the cowlings and front of the fuselage.  I probably got a bit too much tonal variation 

but part of me thinks it looks pretty cool so I am strongly considering leaving it as is.

IMG_1367

The starboard side.  Here you can see the different red tones.  My thought process was that the fabric surfaces would probably show a different shade than the metal

one.  Of course the upper cowling is also a darker shade, but again I rather like the look, so I may just leave it.

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

The rib tapes don't seem to be very prominent if they are there at all:

Fokker%20D.VII%20465~18%20Jasta%2019%20M

So, up to you really. I could have a dig through the anthologies if you want some more specific guidance.

Richard

Hi Richard, thank you for your help.  It does look like it is open to interpretation and I am leaning towards not putting rib tapes on the wings.  The French modeler built Kleinforth's aircraft and I am building a representation of Schäfer's so I think I can justify the differences (in my mind at least!).  Please don't go through the effort of looking through the anthologies just for me, I don't want to waste your time trying to track down something that is pretty insignificant in the greater scheme of things.

Thank you again,

Ernest 

Edited by Greif8

Personally, if I could get away without having to cut strips of lozenge, then hoping they would stick, while still running parallel to each other - I would! WNW show it without, which is probably good enough

I do have this kit, I'm still deciding what to do with it. I'd like to model an aeroplane with a camera fitted. There is one in one of the books

Richard

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

Personally, if I could get away without having to cut strips of lozenge, then hoping they would stick, while still running parallel to each other - I would! WNW show it without, which is probably good enough

I do have this kit, I'm still deciding what to do with it. I'd like to model an aeroplane with a camera fitted. There is one in one of the books

Richard

Hi Richard thank you again for your insights.  Given your information and what I have dug up over the past few days, I have decided not to put rib tape on the wings.  By the way, I have ordered the three anthology books you referred to earlier as they look to be great reference material.

Ernest 

Unless the wings are covered with wood, like the D-VIII, I am pretty sure that rib-tapes were a mandatory safety feature for fabric covered wings.  I would bet that even though they aren't prominent on photos that doesn't mean they aren't there.

This is a gorgeous build so far, love the engine and the framing especially... very well done.

4 hours ago, Bil said:

I am pretty sure that rib-tapes were a mandatory safety feature for fabric covered wings. 

Not at all sure about that one. Mandated by who, and from when?

1903, the Wright brothers didn't use them, eleven years later (1914) you don't find them. By 1918 they are often seen on the 'planes. So, somewhere in the interim they became common as a way of reinforcing the fabric where it was stitched on. 

Taping1.jpeg?i=728623674

But when? It would need some detailed research to be sure if a particular aeroplane had them

Mind you, you can see why I much prefer single colour wings...

Richard

Back on the build since returning Friday night from my business trip.  If I would have read the decal description more closely for the Aviattaic decals I would have seen that they simulate the lozenge rib tape and avoided looking up information - though that was educational so worthwhile.  The photos show the wings with national markings on them.  They are still glossy as I had not yet sprayed a matt coat on them.  In a departure from when I normally apply weathering I added some oil and exhaust stains to the area around the engine, as well as some chipping of the edges and corners.  I also finished applying the "castor oil" stains.  Normally I weather at or very near the end of a build, but this time I thought it would be easier to get to the areas worked on before installing the wings.  The build is coming along pretty well, not perfectly, as I have made some small construction errors that unfortunately show up in a few macro photos; but fortunately do not show up under normal viewing conditions. 

As you all have seen, I have taken a bit of artistic license with the shading of the red and blue in an effort to add some variation to the colors.  

IMG_1368

Upper top wing before matt coat. 

IMG_1369

Close up of the wing.  Getting the decal to lay down over the little bump on the wing front took some effort.  Ailerons are not glued yet.

IMG_1370

Lower bottom wing.  The decals on the wing tip were impossible to get lined up perfectly on both the upper and lower surface so I opted to make them look nice

on the upper surface where they will be seen.

IMG_1374

"Castor Oil" staining and some of the chipping.

IMG_1375

Port side showing the oil/soot staining and chipping close up.  I popped the upper rear of the side cowling loose and have to tack it back down.

IMG_1377

Exhaust staining added to the muffler as well as some rust highlights.