Mustang Wing Panel Lines...From the Preeminent Mustang Restorer's Point of View

Since this subject has been debated ad nauseum both here and on other forums, I decided to contact the foremost authority on the P-51 Mustang, restorer of Happy Jack's Go Buggy, winner of numerous awards and the authenticity of the restoration; Midwest Aero on the subject of panel lines, fillers and visibility.  Midwest Aero is THE place to go if you want an historically accurate, flyable P-51 restoration.  It took them awhile to respond but below is my query to them and the response I received.  These guys are the closest you can come to North American factory production processes and finishes and what the Mustang wing is supposed to look like when it's finished.

My Question to the experts at Midwest Aero:

Hello,

If you have a few minutes, could you provide some information (settle an argument of sorts) on the P-51 wing putty, sanding and finishing?  
As the closest entity to how a Mustang was finished on the production line, I thought you folks would have the most accurate information on the process and finishing of the P-51 wing.  
Basically we have a disagreement about how the Mustang wing looked after finishing.  Since the wing was puttied and sanded from leading edge to 40% chord, would panel lines (skin butt joints) still be visible after the finishing process ( at both 40% chord and aft)?  My opposition will not accept factory photographs, nor written procedures from the structural repair manual.
I am of the opinion that these "panel lines" would not be visible after the wing had been finished.  Note that I realize that the MLG, fuel tank panels, and gun/ammunition panels/covers were not finished as the rest of the wing.
The other opinion is that in spite of the sanding and filling, those "panel lines" would still be visible under the layers of primer, putty, and topcoats.  
I raised the question that visible panel lines would effectively defeat the point of filling them in the first place.  I got no reply.  I've read the structural repair procedure for leading edge wing damage which I feel supports my opinion.  
As a licensed aircraft mechanic (A&P- 32 years), I feel that I have a pretty good understanding on the how's, why's and how to's...but I cannot say with much degree of certainty that my position is the correct one as I have zero experience on the Mustang.
Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide .

Their Reply:

To answer your questions, I agree with you.  The panel lines would “disappear” basically where the filling took place. 
The only caveat would be after a period of time, it would not be out of the question that some panel lines might become somewhat visible
due to wing flex and cracking of said fillers at those particular joints.  Otherwise, overall my experience based on original  photos and actually doing 
some of this work that the lines go away. 
I hope that helps!

So, right from the guys who actually work on the Mustang wing (you'll most likely not find anyone any more experienced in this matter that is still with us)...the lines are not generally visible. 

FWIW, Jennings' graphic of the Mustang wing is as accurate as can be had regarding this issue.  You just read it from the guys who work,restore and refinish Mustangs for a living.

This is like those "anti-vaxx" arguments all over the internet. Some people choose to listen only to what supports their "argument" and call everything else "fake news".

I recommend that you look at ALL evidence of all kinds and from all sources, not just the stuff you like. 

Go near any Mustang anywhere in the world and make up your own mind. Look at ALL published photos. Look at ALL photos on the net. Do not ignore any evidence! One thing that will strike you is that from a distance the wing will appear smooth. But as you get close you will see the panel lines. Even this restorer admits that the panel lines make their appearance after a while. Jennings? Well, when "pressed" he said "I am not to blame if people misinterpret my drawing" - in other words he drew the panel lines on his drawing in "grey" instead of "black" and then allow the reader to interpret this ambiguity depending on the "panel line truther" camp they fall into.

To me, the Mustang models with filled and sanded "wooden wings" look like no Mustang I ever saw up close. 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

In as far as I understand, the Thunderbolt wings were supposed to be puttied and polished just like the Mustang wings. No one is making a fuss there...

Apart from that, all models involve certain levels of compromise, ranging from subtle to outrageous (30 mm canopy glass anyone?). Here is the bad news, accuracy fans: no panel line on any model is "accurate" - if we were to make panel lines "to scale" they would be invisible even in 1/24. Those controversial panel lines on the real Mustang wings are no wider than the lines on the fuselage. You want "accuracy"? Why stop at the wings? Erase the fuselage panel lines too!

Radu

Edited by Radub

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Since this subject has been debated ad nauseum both here and on other forums, I decided to contact the foremost authority on the P-51 Mustang, restorer of Happy Jack's Go Buggy, winner of numerous awards and the authenticity of the restoration; Midwest Aero on the subject of panel lines, fillers and visibility.  Midwest Aero is THE place to go if you want an historically accurate, flyable P-51 restoration.  It took them awhile to respond but below is my query to them and the response I received.  These guys are the closest you can come to North American factory production processes and finishes and what the Mustang wing is supposed to look like when it's finished.

My Question to the experts at Midwest Aero:

Hello,

If you have a few minutes, could you provide some information (settle an argument of sorts) on the P-51 wing putty, sanding and finishing?  
As the closest entity to how a Mustang was finished on the production line, I thought you folks would have the most accurate information on the process and finishing of the P-51 wing.  
Basically we have a disagreement about how the Mustang wing looked after finishing.  Since the wing was puttied and sanded from leading edge to 40% chord, would panel lines (skin butt joints) still be visible after the finishing process ( at both 40% chord and aft)?  My opposition will not accept factory photographs, nor written procedures from the structural repair manual.
I am of the opinion that these "panel lines" would not be visible after the wing had been finished.  Note that I realize that the MLG, fuel tank panels, and gun/ammunition panels/covers were not finished as the rest of the wing.
The other opinion is that in spite of the sanding and filling, those "panel lines" would still be visible under the layers of primer, putty, and topcoats.  
I raised the question that visible panel lines would effectively defeat the point of filling them in the first place.  I got no reply.  I've read the structural repair procedure for leading edge wing damage which I feel supports my opinion.  
As a licensed aircraft mechanic (A&P- 32 years), I feel that I have a pretty good understanding on the how's, why's and how to's...but I cannot say with much degree of certainty that my position is the correct one as I have zero experience on the Mustang.
Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide .

Their Reply:

To answer your questions, I agree with you.  The panel lines would “disappear” basically where the filling took place. 
The only caveat would be after a period of time, it would not be out of the question that some panel lines might become somewhat visible
due to wing flex and cracking of said fillers at those particular joints.  Otherwise, overall my experience based on original  photos and actually doing 
some of this work that the lines go away. 
I hope that helps!

So, right from the guys who actually work on the Mustang wing (you'll most likely not find anyone any more experienced in this matter that is still with us)...the lines are not generally visible. 

FWIW, Jennings' graphic of the Mustang wing is as accurate as can be had regarding this issue.  You just read it from the guys who work,restore and refinish Mustangs for a living.

I agree ... stuff all was visible from 3 metres away on the two flying examples I saw ... and these dudes are restoration experts ...

Good enough for me :D ... Thanks mate.

Rog :)

4 hours ago, Radub said:

Let me make it clear that I believe Mustang wings were puttied and lacquered to a very smooth finish. Here is a photo I took of the Mustang on display in the RAF museum in Hendon. Note the smooth finish! 

Radu 

peo4aVYpaMBtaHMtczp_jF6mXq4ivGIm4EZvWyRc

This is the evidence you provide that Mustang's panel lines were still visible through putty, sanding, finishing from how far away, yet you refute factory photographs from less than 3 ft distance that are contrary to your position...that's just crazy!  I've looked at ALL the photographs I can get my hands on and ALL the musuem examples I can access.... How dare you insinuate that just because my evidence supports my conclusion, I've ignored all the remainder!  I even added to  my email to Midwest Aero that I wasn't sure about my information since I had zero experience working on the airframe (as a licensed aircraft and powerplant aircraft mechanic).

I can post photos of museum mustangs too!  These are from one of the most prestigious museums in the world, the Smithsonian Air and Space Musuem....  No panel lines at rivet wing joints.

HIC9Sek.png

R8CBsDz.png

And with that, I'm done being insulted and told my evidence is lacking....I don't feel the need to fight the "Right-at-all-costs" fight.  What else can I do?  I cannot go dig up and reanimate North American employees who actually finished the wings to get their experiences.  There's no "in-the-crate" examples of P-51's to examine....Contact Midwest Aero yourself and listen to what the actual people who work these airframes tell you.

Edited by Juggernut

The problem is people want black and white when the world is grey.  No one argues how the aircraft left the factory.   Nice and smooth.  Where the differences come in is over time how the aircraft evolves based on operational stresses.  Environment, g-force stressing, etc....all will affect the initial finish.  My car left the factory absolutely pristine,  but it isnt now.  As builders we need to remember there is so much variation over an aircraft's lifespan that the same aircraft can be built completely differently based on what time in it's life you've decided to model.  Fresh from the factory, smooth as can be.  Operating in the Pacific for awhile and been to depot maintenance a few times,  probably gonna see the panel lines relatively well.  Just build to what pictures you have and what makes you happy. 

26 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

This is the evidence you provide that Mustang's panel lines were still visible through putty, sanding, finishing from how far away, yet you refute factory photographs from less than 3 ft distance that are contrary to your position...that's just crazy! 

I am not ignoring anything. As I said to you, let us look at all evidence. Here are some photos of the same wing I took from up close: 

GVNWMEjnN_5Qkf3H1xah_7EP7mvLlSiBF6ugGTbb

w5xNsi6pnW_cjc-YyvmrQ-5DLTWJ-9E45Q7b5C1l

tyzdW8lXnlUrEqDR9VWN-N3Ync8v1bYNBT4IWJgR

xdWzCAjVSsy4V6iylFSSml-JQoq835_nEnieYIU-

96hqfjIheFghNrHbWCVL-klsVmju8bkijG7qgwfW

E1CumZFT4rlKluzFG31-AUhfI8MMsL3qfjBAICms

HtZlCmnvZx0X_X-55uDTj17Q77-elVpwyCVoS2Ab

NH9Kt60Grpl_0QsOIuLHfm2ytJWLV6EYNgJg6-0w

rJxtnF-bcXwb3jJ_YwBXyW0kqVRlOzUsdv0OIfqq

qSDn_1arYi7aKiGCG1qDLzJVw2bcWCGo_o9jO6q7

WbL32B5812A5j1C3PDPLkveNUEF1esSZjVR5Ttml

ut6URcR5fLxdetC1VpeRU-q2xASNvq3v1HmUuNsD

C-4hVyC2dkK8a3GVbKlqMQqEfvOzDFH9GuyLMlHG

I also have photos of three other Mustangs I researched in Duxford.There was also a fourth Mustang I reasearched in Duxford, but I have to see if I have photos of the wings (This was taken apart - I looked at other area).  I can upload them to Google Photos in the next day. These are photos I took, not stuff found on the net. If you wish I can upload them too, but let me assure you that they look pretty much the same as these photos above - the "look" is quite uniform across all airframes. Why do these panels appear? Flex? Shrinkage? I don't know. They just are there. 
I also recommend that you look at photos of "Lil' Margaret", an aircraft that was beautifully restored. From a distance the wings look perfectly smooth, but get close and you can see  the panel lines. This aicraft features in the Aero Detail book as well as the beautiful book "P-51 Mustang Restored" by Paul Cogan. 

Radu 

Radu 

Speaking of the Excalibur III in the Smithsonian, I have seen it a few times and I noticed something very interesting about it.

Look for yourself in this photo from the Smithsonian's own website: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/north-american-p-51c-excalibur-iii

A19530088000CP11.jpg

All panel lines are almost eradicated, not just on the wings. This was a special experimental aircraft. 

Radu 

"Experimental" is an airworthiness category created by the FAA (CAA) that warbirds fit into (as do most homebuilts) since they were not certificated (approved) for manufacture by the Federal Aviation Administration (formerly the CAA - Civil Aviation Administration).  It doesn't mean that there's anything "special" about them other than that.

Edited by Juggernut