Mustang Wing Panel Lines...From the Preeminent Mustang Restorer's Point of View

21 minutes ago, davral64 said:

Wait, what?  I thought Mustangs had hooves.  The bottom of their hooves do have panel lines but the tops mostly don't.

Yes, but how many horse shoe nails show on the top?

Richard

Just now, RLWP said:

Yes, but how many horse shoe nails show on the top?

Richard

Oh no you got me there.   Those from Grumman had a whole bunch.   NAA only used laminar flow nails.  Bells were hammered in from the side I think. I gotta look at some pictures to be sure!

46 minutes ago, davral64 said:

Oh no you got me there.   Those from Grumman had a whole bunch.   NAA only used laminar flow nails.  Bells were hammered in from the side I think. I gotta look at some pictures to be sure!

Always check your references, laminitis is really nasty

Richard

Sorry to come in so late on this but....  The whole panel line argument is the same as trying to talk dispassionately about who should be president or whether Normal Rockwell was a better painter than Picasso -- there is no real right answer; everything boils down to your personal point of view.  Just because construction drawings or three-views show panel lines doesn't mean you can actually see them on the real thing.  As for photos, cameras record reflected light, which changes by the minute and is reliable only for that instant in time.  Just because you can see some obscure detail in a close-up photo doesn't mean you should be able to see it on a 1/32 model no matter how close to your eye you hold it because you can never recreate the same visual perspective -- there is not such thing as a 1/32 human eyeball.  In the scales most of us build, prominent panel lines and fasteners are pure fiction.  If you don't believe me, try this simple test if you are brave enough:  If you have a model of an airplane that is currently at an airport, display or museum, take it there and hold it out at arm's length then walk back until your super realistic model and the real airplane are the same relative size, then see for yourself how many of the panel lines and other "details" you spent hours sweating over are actually visible on the real thing.  You'll be surprised.  Personally, I don't care one way or another about panel lines and rivets as long as when I see your model I can say to myself, "How the hell did he do that??"  It's that Picasso/Rockwell thing.

5 minutes ago, vince14 said:

*The colour of the cowling on Voss' Dr.I may or may not be even more tedious.

I'll end up going with whatever WNW recommends, even though they themselves seem unsure about such things from time to time.

Just because everyone's got one of each...   I think the whole rivet counter thing is kinda fun to watch/read.  That is until entropy inevitably wins the day and or people start being what we all have one of.  That is unless it's funny.  Funny always wins.  I've spent my whole life in aviation and I didn't know that NAA putty'd the wings until this thread started.  Pretty interesting stuff.  I did know that they used a metal diaphragm to seal the ailerons to guide airflow in an advantageous direction or something like that.  Ultimately who cares?  We build models, we aren't analysing data from the LHC.  Keep it generally respectful (unless it's funny) and just super glue your fingers together like I do.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:47 PM, vince14 said:

Yay! Perhaps the most tedious argument* in all of modelling is back!

*The colour of the cowling on Voss' Dr.I may or may not be even more tedious.

So, what colour was the cowling?

I'm bored...

Don