Non metallic metal technique

brahman104

Just curious, has anyone here ever done or contemplated trying the non-metallic metal painting technique on an aircraft model? I know it has gained a lot of interest in the wargaming fraternity....

Like this.....

1mS6cCz.jpg

And this....

Y6aKCdO.jpg

I'm interested in trying it sometime. It'll be challenging to stick with a rigid light source, but I'm sure it can be done.

Craig

38 minutes ago, mozart said:

Sorry, I don’t understand the question! :huh:

As I understand it, metallic surfaces on aircraft are usually painted using some form of metallic paint (i.e. a carrier flooded not with colour but tiny particles of paint).  light reflects of this paint, so you will have bright spots and dark spots - and as you turn the plane, these spots alter their position.

Non-metallic metal painting (NMM) uses normal paint (so without metal particles) to create the same illusion, but when you turn the object the highlights and shadows stay in place.

So the question is has anybody painted their aircraft using a variety of normal paints to create the illusion of a metallic surface as in NMM.

Editted:

Look at the first picture: this is a painting of a metallic hull where you can see the reflections in it - but that is all done with coloured paint, not with metallic paint. i.e. the picture is a flat surface, not a 3D surface, but it looks like 3D because of the reflecctions.

Hope this helps

Edited by Landrotten Highlander
additional information

1 hour ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

As I understand it, metallic surfaces on aircraft are usually painted using some form of metallic paint (i.e. a carrier flooded not with colour but tiny particles of paint).  light reflects of this paint, so you will have bright spots and dark spots - and as you turn the plane, these spots alter their position.

Non-metallic metal painting (NMM) uses normal paint (so without metal particles) to create the same illusion, but when you turn the object the highlights and shadows stay in place.

So the question is has anybody painted their aircraft using a variety of normal paints to create the illusion of a metallic surface as in NMM.

Editted:

Look at the first picture: this is a painting of a metallic hull where you can see the reflections in it - but that is all done with coloured paint, not with metallic paint. i.e. the picture is a flat surface, not a 3D surface, but it looks like 3D because of the reflecctions.

Hope this helps

Exactly! The idea is to force the illusion of a shiny or otherwise, metallic surface without using metallic paints such as alclad etc. The way an artist would paint a metallic object on a 2 dimensional canvas. A mixture of blacks, greys, whites and blues combines in such a way to represent a light source that doesn't exist.

It's in much the same way as Fancherello has done on his exceptional black and white Mustang and Corsair.

I'm going to try it on my next model (as much as that will be sometime away). Just wondered if anyone had ever tried anything similar?

Craig

3 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense now!

Yes thanks, got the concept now. I must admit it’s not a technique I’ve really thought of applying to model aircraft though it’s common of course in figure painting, known I believe as zenithal light and I guess in the art world as trompe l’oeil.

Edited by mozart