Recommendation for Iwata compressor and airbrush?

Pup7309

Hi I was looking at compressors and airbrushes and thought I’d ask you guys with the experience. There are a few choices especially with airbrushes. I guess it would be for covering everything from Felixstowe sized wingspan to detailed work. Thanks!

Go for the Iwata HP-CH airbrush withers the mac valve as it's a brilliant all round air brush, regarding compressors go for a Werther Sil Air 15 or 30D rather than an Iwata compressor as you will get more for your money. I have this set up and very happy with it. The Sil air compressor is super super quite and only runs occasionally due to the size of the tank.

Hope that helps.

Regards. Andy 

I second the HP-CH. 

The mac valve is really useful. Unless you currently experiment a lot with pressue when spraying it will change the way you use your airbrush.

I became way better at finding the right pressure because it is so easy to adjust. This ulitmately made me way better at spraying opage layers and use newer type of paints like MRP. 

All in all it just made a huge difference to the better. 

Have fun. 

Cheers

Edited by Mebo

I use an Iwata HP-C Plus, which is a step down from the HP-CH, without the MAC valve.  Haven't used the MAC valve so I can't comment on it but I like the HP-C Plus and use if for 95% of my modeling needs.  When I really want to do detailed spraying, I have a Badger SOTAR but, honestly, I'm much more comfortable and confident with the Iwata in my hands.  It's a great workhorse airbrush.

As for the compressor, I use a workshop-type unit from California Air Tools (4610A) with a 4.6 gallon tank.  It's not silent but it was much quieter than the cheapo Campbell-Hausfeld compressor that I was previously using.

I own an HP-C side cup type and a Custom Micron.   After Spending time using solely the HP-C because that is what I had set up and had not done any painting lately, also I was being lazy about breaking out the CM.

Once I did get my CM out of the box, it’s performance made the HP-C seem like I was painting with a mop.  

Paints must be thinned accordingly and the atomization is superior!   If you think you can’t paint big with that brush or limited by paint, that has not been my experience.  Unless I’m shooting thick wet coats I’ll be using the CM again as my work horse.

Using an Iwata Ninja with a water trap for air.  

Cheers,

Timmy!

On 12/8/2019 at 2:52 PM, Timmy! said:

I own an HP-C side cup type and a Custom Micron.   After Spending time using solely the HP-C because that is what I had set up and had not done any painting lately, also I was being lazy about breaking out the CM.

Once I did get my CM out of the box, it’s performance made the HP-C seem like I was painting with a mop.  

Paints must be thinned accordingly and the atomization is superior!   If you think you can’t paint big with that brush or limited by paint, that has not been my experience.  Unless I’m shooting thick wet coats I’ll be using the CM again as my work horse.

Using an Iwata Ninja with a water trap for air.  

Cheers,

Timmy!

Like you Timmy I have a Custom Micron but dont use it to much but for most jobs use the HP-CH but when I do use it it is something else altogether!!

Regards. Andy 

California Air Tools compressor, without a doubt.  I own one.  The quietest air compressors on the market.  Also, I own an Iwata High Line HP-BH Gravity Feed with Micro Control for micro air regulation and am very happy with it.  Well, actually I own 2.  Other brushes come with larger reservoir cups for the big guns, like 4-engine bombers.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Mark