Interesting. Revell P-51B, upgrade?

Troy Molitor

The old revell P-51B is a better point to start a correction, short of owning the Jerry Rutman one.  Trumpeter is way off.  Even if you graft the resin nose to the Trumpy kit, you still have a problem with the wing shape.  I already compared the new revell P-51D as a quick comparison of the accuracy of the lines.  Literally, even if the old P-51B had raised lines, they fall almost exactly to the panel lines in the P-51D.  I initially considered grafting the revell D nose to the B, but chickened out in trying to destroy a really nice kit. 

My nose has been engineered using a reproduction of the Revell P-51D Early upper cowl and has been grafted on to the P-51B lower nose at the midpoint of the exhaust outlets. The resin nose has a smooth featureless surface. For one simple reason. The update can not be done without rescribing the whole model. Rescribing is a very personal thing for modelers and everybody has their techniques. Me? I prefer deeper lines. Others prefer lighter. some prefer pencil. I can go on, but you get the point. I would only be frustrating the builder who would have to fill my recessed lines in before doing it their way. 

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi Kevin, are you selling the parts individually ?

Sure Mike!  I do have three ala'carte sets listed. One for all the clear parts, one gives you just the nose with exhausts, and prop/spinner, and the third set gives you the fuel tanks, pylons, and wheels. if there is a specific part you need, I'm happy to fill that outside of Ebay as a direct sale. 

One member has asked if he can buy using the classic method of check in the mail. Message me if this is your preferred manner of purchase.  

9 hours ago, docdodj01 said:

The old revell P-51B is a better point to start a correction, short of owning the Jerry Rutman one.  Trumpeter is way off.  Even if you graft the resin nose to the Trumpy kit, you still have a problem with the wing shape.  I already compared the new revell P-51D as a quick comparison of the accuracy of the lines.  Literally, even if the old P-51B had raised lines, they fall almost exactly to the panel lines in the P-51D.  I initially considered grafting the revell D nose to the B, but chickened out in trying to destroy a really nice kit. 

It's a little more complicated then grafting a P-51D nose to the B kit. The windscreens are different. I adapted my one piece cowl to the B kit windscreen/instrument coaming. Hence the reason for the cuts being made behind the coaming down through the forward wingroots. It's the least destructive manner. 

Edited by 109ace

54 minutes ago, 109ace said:

It's a little more complicated then grafting a P-51D nose to the B kit. The windscreens are different. I adapted my one piece cowl to the B kit windscreen/instrument coaming. Hence the reason for the cuts being made behind the coaming down through the forward wingroots. It's the least destructive manner. 

All this is part of the fun!  

2 hours ago, 109ace said:

I know. I was actually had a crazy thought to cut up the Revell D and B, similar to how the Revell D parts would be like. Especially the wheel wells of the D. The wings of the new D is a drop fit to the B fuselage, with the exception of wing root parts since the D model had a extension.  But like you mentioned I realized I couldn’t massacre a new tool kit to update an old one. It would be a waste on a well done, brand new D kit.

• 1 year later...